What does the Fox say? KC’s Matt Fox looks into crystal football for the District 1 AAAA bracket

Lined up for postseason play: The North Penn Knights take the line of scrimmage in their game vs Pennsbury earlier this season. The Knight Criers Matt Fox has analyzed the D-1 bracket and sees these two teams lining up on the ball again in the District 1 Final.

Brooke McCoy

Lined up for postseason play: The North Penn Knights take the line of scrimmage in their game vs Pennsbury earlier this season. The Knight Crier’s Matt Fox has analyzed the D-1 bracket and sees these two teams lining up on the ball again in the District 1 Final.

Matthew Fox, Staff Writer

Predicting the PIAA District 1 Football Playoffs

With the first week of November comes the opening round of the PIAA football playoffs. Let’s take a look at each matchup and I’ll offer my best insight into the outcomes.

Haverford (16) at Coatesville (1)

Haverford will be without head coach Joseph Gallagher for the first time in 23 years as he is suspended following his DUI related arrest. It was going to be a tough matchup for the Fords had they not been involved in a controversy like this, but this just further lowers their chances. I’m going with the undefeated Red Raiders in this one.

Coatesville 38 Haverford 14

North Penn (9) at WC Henderson (8)

North Penn would be a top four seed had they chosen to not play arguably the best two teams in the state in LaSalle and Archbishop Wood out of conference this season. They’re the only team that has been able to beat a loaded Pennsbury squad and are a team that others hope to avoid. WC Henderson wasn’t so lucky.

North Penn 28 WC Henderson 17

Pennridge (13) at Quakertown (4)

These two teams are bitter rivals. Normally they only play each other on their annual Thanksgiving game, but this year the stakes will be a little bit higher. Pennridge is without starting quarterback Devon Balmer and will be forced to turn to Junior Matt Kraynick. Despite being shorthanded I like Pennridge for two reasons, Quakertown had a very weak schedule and Joe Unangst. Look for Unangst to do a little bit of everything and lead his team to a win in this one.

Pennridge 28 Quakertown 21

Perkiomen Valley (12) at Downingtown East (5)

Perkiomen Valley is coming in red hot. Since starting off the season with back to back losses against Council Rock North and Pennsbury the Vikings have reeled off 9 straight wins. There’s one problem though, they haven’t beaten one playoff caliber team. All of their wins have come against weaker squads, while Downingtown East has beaten Downingtown West and West Chester Rustin, both qualified for the playoffs. That is why I’m going with Downingtown East here.

Downingtown East 35 Perkiomen Valley 21

Downingtown West (15) at Pennsbury (2)

This isn’t a tough one to pick. Downingtown West has beaten some good teams but they haven’t seen a team with a rushing attack like Pennsbury. I expect the Falcons to cruise in this one.

Pennsbury 40 Downingtown West 13

C.B. South (10) at Garnet Valley (7)

C.B. South is coming in on a little bit of a skid following consecutive losses to end the season. There is a simple explanation for that though, Josh Adams didn’t play in either of those games. Adams should be back this week so expect him to eclipse the 200 yard mark and for the Titans to move on.

C.B. South 35 Garnet Valley 20

Conestoga (14) at WC Rustin (3)

Neither team had a particularly daunting schedule, but while Conestoga hit a couple of rough spots, Rustin cruised for most of the season. I’ve got Rustin in this one.

WC Rustin 31 Conestoga 17

Council Rock North (11) at Upper Dublin (6)

Council Rock North comes in on a major skid, as they have lost 3 of their last 4 games. Despite this I still like them in this game because of their quarterback Brandon Mcllwain. Mcllwain is legit; he will be playing division one football in a power 5 conference in a couple of years. I fully expect Mcllwain to lift his team to a first round upset over the Cardinals.

Council Rock North 42 Upper Dublin 28

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
So now that the first round has played out here is what round 2 would look like.

1 Coatesville
9 North Penn

5 Downingtown West
13 Pennridge

2 Pennsbury
10 C.B. South

3 WC Rustin
11 Council Rock North

North Penn (9) at Coatesville (1)

In round two we have a rematch of last year’s first round playoff matchup between the Knights and Red Raiders. Last year North Penn blew out Coatesville on their home field. This has all the makings of a great matchup, but the return of quarterback Jake Bevan to the Knights lineup should put them over the top in a nail biter.

North Penn 27 Coatesville 24

Pennridge (13) at Downingtown East (5)

The Downingtown East defense is going to have their hands full trying to stop the Pennridge rushing attack spearheaded by Joe Unangst and Imeir Simmons. I don’t think they’ll be up to the task.

Pennridge 35 Downingtown East 24

C.B. South (10) at Pennsbury (2)

Three weeks prior to this matchup Pennsbury embarrassed the Titans, crushing them in a 55-7 rout. This time CB South will have Josh Adams to lean on, but the Notre Dame commit won’t be able to outrun the Pennsbury rushing attack. The Titans have the best player, but the Falcons are the more complete team.

Pennsbury 42 CB South 21

Council Rock North (11) at WC Rustin (3)

Rustin have yet to face a player as good as Mcllwain. This is where their weak schedule will really hurt the Golden Knights as they won’t be prepared to slow down a player of Mcllwain’s caliber. Expect another big day from him as he leads the Indians past Rustin.

Council Rock North 38 WC Rustin 28

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Now we’re down to the final four. Here is what the semi final matchups would look like.

9 North Penn
13 Pennridge

2 Pennsbury
11 Council Rock North

Pennridge (13) at North Penn (9)

In our first semi-final we have a rematch of the teams’ week four meeting, which North Penn won 47-22. Last time these two teams played Pennridge was in it until the fourth quarter when the game ultimately got away from them. I expect yet another competitive showdown, in which North Penn will come out victorious.

North Penn 34 Pennridge 24

Council Rock North (11) at Pennsbury (2)

In our other semi-final matchup expect the clock to strike midnight on Council Rock’s Cinderella run. Pennsbury is simply too dominant of a force for even Brandon Mcllwain to overcome. Pennsbury will get out infront early and use their rushing attack to control the game.

Pennsbury 45 Council Rock North 31

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

District Final
North Penn (9) at Pennsbury (2)
In the final we have yet another clash between these two high school football titans- this time a spot in the state semi-final is on the line. It will be a rematch of arguably the game of the year in which North Penn came out victorious 24-21. The key to a Knights victory will be to get out in front of Pennsbury and to force them to pass the ball more often, which is not something their big behemoths on the offensive line are well suited for. When forced to pass block late in the game in their first meeting the Falcons line gave up three sacks on the last drive alone. It is important to note that North Penn head coach Dick Beck has never lost to Pennsbury in his career, however I can’t see the Knights knocking off the Falcons twice. Pennsbury will control the game using their rushing attack, like they have all season, and bleed the clock late to seal the victory and the district championship.

Pennsbury 24 North Penn 14