Throwback Thursday: the 1965 Knight Crier

Mr.+Thomas+Vizzard%2C+advisor+to+the+Knight+Crier+reads+the+finished+product+with+a+smile+of+satisfaction.%0A+

Mr. Thomas Vizzard, advisor to the Knight Crier reads the finished product with a smile of satisfaction.

Madison Wiernusz, Staff Writer

On a Sunday morning, dad would read the sports section, mom cut out the crossword, and the kids skimmed the comics in the newspaper. It is more likely today that dad is using his laptop to Google the latest scores, mom is playing Scrabble on her iPad, and the kids are scrolling through Twitter on their iPhones.

It used to be that every morning a newspaper was thrown at the bottom of almost every driveway. Today, it seems as if there are less newspapers sitting on driveways, not because people are uninterested, but rather because the media world has gone digital.

In this edition of Throwback Thursday, we take a look back to 1965 at what the Knight Crier used to be, a print newspaper. Six editions of the Knight Crier would be printed and released to the students, staff, and faculty at North Penn High School throughout the school year.

Even though the Knight Crier was the main source of North Penn’s news (and still is), it may have included stories that would have been more relevant if they were printed a week earlier. The digital media age allows for daily article updates and more breaking news stories to be published.

It’s safe to say that the execution of newspaper media has dramatically changed throughout the years, and that traditional print media is headed towards extinction.

Rather than looking at this upcoming loss of print newspapers as a loss of tradition in society, one should realize that it’s advancement towards the future. Traditions are constantly changing, so one day digital newspapers will evolve into something even better, causing a shift once again in traditions.

But one thing’s for sure; nothing will ever compare to the feeling of holding a new, crisp newspaper.

Senior, Sue Smith, and junior, Diane Clymer, co-editors of this year's Knight Crier are responsible for its success as the main avenue of NPHS news.
Senior, Sue Smith, and junior, Diane Clymer, co-editors of 1965’s Knight Crier are responsible for its success as the main avenue of NPHS news.