Maidens splash Upper Merion 12-3

Evan Hayes, Staf Writer

TOWAMENCIN- The North Penn Maidens Water Polo team picked up a dominant win over Upper Merion on Tuesday, winning, 12-3. The Maidens led a very balanced scoring effort, with 10 different people scoring throughout the game. Against a much weaker opponent in Upper Merion, the Maiden’s subbed multiple times, playing their entire team.

The Maidens were dominant right from the first possession. Sophomore Kailyn Evans scored eleven seconds into the game, setting the tone for the blowout. Senior Olivia DiStefano was a force in goal, only letting in two shots in the first half. The Maidens moved the ball well, sharing and spreading the scoring amongst those who were in the pool, finishing the first half leading 10-2 and then put mostly sophomores and freshmen in the second half.

After losing three straight tournament games to start the season, the Maiden’s have bounced back, currently sporting a  gaudy 15-1 overall record, with a 3-0 record in the conference.

Teamwork and effort have been the theme for the Maidens this year, from the freshmen to the seniors. Coach Bill Bartle credits his team’s success to his senior leadership, and how they have come together as a team this season after early adversity.

“ The beginning of the season, we got off to a rough start. We started off at a tournament where we lost to three very good teams there,” said Bartle. “But I’m very pleased with how the girls came back. They ran up maybe four, five, six wins in a row after that, and now we’re really coming together as a team. We have good leadership in the senior class and that means a lot, and I’m just very pleased with how hard they are working everyday.”

The Maidens are looking towards the postseason, and with great leadership and a strong in conference record, they expect to make a postseason run.

“We set our goal to be prepared for the end of the year, because that is when you want to peak. The one thing I am very pleased with is their effort, and that is all you can ask for. Sometimes you’re going to be facing individuals and be at a little bit of a physical disadvantage or make a mistake here or there, but as long as you continue to come back and give it your best shot day after day, that’s all you can ask for as a coach.”

The Maidens will resume their schedule and protect their perfect conference record with a match at Springfield High School this Thursday at 5:15.