Weekly World Headlines

In this Jan. 5, 2015, file courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, left, is depicted beside U.S. District Judge George OToole Jr., right, as OToole addresses a pool of potential jurors in a jury assembly room at the federal courthouse, in Boston. Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tsarnaev have asked a judge three times to move his trial out of Massachusetts because of the emotional impact of the deadly attack. Three times, the judge has refused. On Thursday, Feb. 19, Tsarnaevs defense team will ask a federal appeals court to take the decision out of the hands of OToole Jr. and order him to move the trial. They insist that Tsarnaev cannot find a fair and impartial jury in Massachusetts because too many people believe hes guilty and many have personal connections to the marathon or the bombings. (Jane Flavell Collins via AP, File)

AP

In this Jan. 5, 2015, file courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, left, is depicted beside U.S. District Judge George O’Toole Jr., right, as O’Toole addresses a pool of potential jurors in a jury assembly room at the federal courthouse, in Boston. Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tsarnaev have asked a judge three times to move his trial out of Massachusetts because of the emotional impact of the deadly attack. Three times, the judge has refused. On Thursday, Feb. 19, Tsarnaev’s defense team will ask a federal appeals court to take the decision out of the hands of O’Toole Jr. and order him to move the trial. They insist that Tsarnaev cannot find a fair and impartial jury in Massachusetts because too many people believe he’s guilty and many have personal connections to the marathon or the bombings. (Jane Flavell Collins via AP, File)

Marykate Owsiany, Staff Writer

A Garland Police Officer stands guard at the road leading to Naaman Forest High School and Curtis Culwell Center after a fire alarm was called at the high school, Tuesday, May 5, 2015, in Garland, Texas. A man whose social media presence was being scrutinized by federal authorities was one of two suspects in the Sunday shooting at this location that hosted a cartoon contest featuring images of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad. The Islamic State group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the attack. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Shooting at event featuring Mohammed cartoons in Texas

During a Prophet Mohammed cartoon contest in Garland, Texas, two assailants, known as Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi, took fire on the event center, shooting one security guard in the ankle. Before the two gunmen could proceed into the building, Garland police quickly responded and returned fire, killing the two gunmen.

Two days after the shooting, ISIS claimed that the gunmen were two of its soldiers and that there are many more attacks to come.

“We say to the defenders of the cross, the U.S., that future attacks are going to be harsher and worse. The Islamic State soldiers will inflict harm on you with the grace of God. The future is just around the corner,” an ISIS radio announcer told listeners.

While authorities are not certain that the two men were definitely linked to the terror group, there is strong evidence there was a connection, including a tweet by Simpson that said “May Allah accept us as mujahideen” with the hashtag “#texasattack” moments before the shooting occurred.

To read more about the shooting, visit http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/05/us/garland-texas-prophet-mohammed-contest-shooting/index.html.

North Korea would use nukes if ‘forced,’ official says

After receiving the rare opportunity of an interview with a senior North Korean official, Park Yong Chol, CNN announced North Korea’s claim that, if provoked, the country would attack U.S. mainland with nuclear weapons.

Chol spoke of the recent fifteen executions, claiming it was “malicious slander” that South Korea’s Intelligence Agency linked allegations against Kim Jong Un. However, he did not deny that the executions took place, saying that “it is very normal for any country to go after hostile elements and punish them and execute them.”

Lastly, when questioned of the human rights in North Korea, Chol immediately backfired on the human rights of Americans, criticizing the racial riots and poor treatment of prison inmates.

To read more on the interview, visit http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/07/asia/north-korea-official-interview/index.html.

FILE - This undated file photo released Friday, April 19, 2013, by the FBI shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Russian relatives of Boston Marathon bomberTsarnaev are expected to testify at his trial as his lawyers continue to make their case to spare his life.  Five family members are expected to take the witness stand Monday, May 4, 2015, in federal court.  (AP Photo/FBI, File)
FILE – This undated file photo released Friday, April 19, 2013, by the FBI shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Russian relatives of Boston Marathon bomberTsarnaev are expected to testify at his trial as his lawyers continue to make their case to spare his life. Five family members are expected to take the witness stand Monday, May 4, 2015, in federal court. (AP Photo/FBI, File)

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s Sentencing

Last month, the surviving Boston Marathon Bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was found guilty of all thirty counts related to the bombing and the resulting deaths, seventeen of which could result in the death penalty.

Though Tsarnaev has acted quite unemotional throughout his time in court, his cousin recalls a very teary Tsarnaev crying at the death of Mufasa in The Lion King when he was a child. In addition, he nearly cried when a Russian aunt broke into tears on the witness stand.

The jury must decide whether the boy should serve life in prison or receive the death penalty, a difficult decision to make because of the possible overwhelming influence and pressure that may have come from his older brother.

For more on the case, visit http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/us/boston-bombing-tsarnaev-sentencing/index.html.

Brandon Payton, right, of Baltimore, fist-bumps a National Guardsman standing outside of City Hall as protesters march by to demonstrate the police-custody death of Freddie Gray, Thursday, April 30, 2015, in Baltimore. Baltimore police say they have turned over their criminal investigation to a prosecutor who will decide whether charges are warranted in the death of Gray. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Baltimore police investigation doesn’t support some of prosecution’s charges

The police investigation of the death of Freddie Gray has concluded that the knife carried by Gray was illegal under the law of Baltimore city code, and therefore his arrest was justified. In addition, the second degree murder charges pressed against one officer, for second degree murder charges require the proof of intent to kill, which will be difficult to prove.

However, after an autopsy, medical examiners told investigators that Gray’s death was indeed homicide and that his injury to the head was resultant of the harsh ride in the police transport van that was taking him to the station.

A spokeswoman announced that she would “strongly condemn anyone in law enforcement with access to trial evidence, who has or continues to leak information prior to the resolution of this case. These unethical disclosures are only damaging our ability to conduct a fair and impartial process for all parties involved.”

Because of the rage in Baltimore, law enforcement is doing its best to keep the legal process as fair as possible.

To read more, visit http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/politics/freddie-gray-baltimore-knife-marilyn-mosby-prosecution/index.html.

The UK Election

British Prime Minister David Cameron and his Conservative Party have claimed majority, with 326 seats out of 650, in the United Kingdom and can therefore begin the process of forming a new government. After five years in a coalition, the Conservative Party alone will govern the UK. The Conservative Party plans on many reforms regarding the UK deficit and welfare spending.

Prime Minister Cameron said, “I truly believe we are on the brink of something special in our country. We can make Britain a place where a good life is in reach for everyone who is willing to work and do the right thing.”

The spokesman of the White House, Josh Earnest, said that Obama “is proud of the strong working relationship that he’s developed with David Cameron over the years and he’s looking forward to continuing to strengthen that personal relationship, but also making sure we continue to deepen the relationship between the American people and the British people.”

For more details on the election, see http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/08/europe/uk-general-election/index.html.