Rioting in the library- Annual reading riot brings texts to life

Photo submitted by Mr. Joe Ramsey - NPHS IMC

NPHS Senior Matt Wynne reads at the annual Reading Riot in the NPHS IMC

Manpreet Dhankhar, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – A riot? Where? At the high school? Oh boy. On April 16, 2015 the North Penn High School library hosted its 14th annual Reading Riot in honor of National Library Week.

English classes visited the library each period in honor of the written words that have made our lives richer. Instead of sitting in hard chairs and learning from standard curriculum books, these students attended an event that showed them that reading and writing can be much more fun than they may have previously thought. The Reading Riot was a showcase for student talent, with kids reading aloud their own creative stories and poems. Students had previously signed up if they were interested in presenting their work, and it was plain to see that this was an opportunity they rarely got. People raised their hands and eagerly waited to share their work. Some went up with apprehension showing in the their faces and in the fidgeting of their fingers. Others bounded up to the podium like they were coiled springs set loose at last. By the end of their presentation however, it was hard to tell them apart, as they confidently gave voice to their work in the way that only the author of a piece can.

For those who believed they were not cut out for wordplay and writing or who simply wanted to pay homage to the great writers of this world, there was the option of reading favorite excerpts from novels and plays that had inspired them. From the classics, like Romeo and Juliet, to modern pieces of literature, students demonstrated that their favorite reading material comes from all different times and places. As Mrs. Janet Yacovelli, who works in the library, put it, “Everybody has read something good. This is our chance to reinforce creativity and the art of reading.”

NPHS student Austin Zotomayor reads to a captive audience at the Reading Riot
Photo submitted by Mr. Joe Ramsey

This was no small event. It was hosted by the high school’s library, but North Penn is bigger than the average sized high school. It was open to all students, not just those whose classes were signed up. Each period one hundred kids came down to this center of learning. Times that by seven for each period the library was open, and the grand total comes out to be seven hundred students who came together to celebrate books. They demonstrated how writing is present everywhere in society and how even the kid who nods off in English class has fallen in love with the written word already in some way or another. Students sang songs and performed ballads, for what are these things if they are not stories simply sung instead of written? They showed that literature is poetry and music and story and infinitely more than just words on a page.  This was the 14th Reading Riot hosted by the high school. Just this year there was so much variety. The previous years there has been just as much variety. Put all that together, all that creativity being revealed, and it is plain to see why this event is such a great part of the school year.

Last year, the school tried something different. Seeing the huge role TV plays in society today, there was a Book to Film event where students explored books that have been made into movies and discussed what goes into making the conversion from page to screen. This year was a return to focusing on reading, but Mr. Ramsey, one of the librarians and organizers of the Reading Riot, hopes to “come up with different plans, maybe two or three, that we can rotate each year to encompass all kinds of literature.” He, along with many kids, has expressed his happiness that there is so much variety in the way we view literature.

Reading Riot was a change from the way many kids view English, both the literature and the class. Rotie Saha found it “very interesting and inspiring to see all the different forms that writing can take, because really, we don’t get that opportunity everyday. It was great, and I had a really good time seeing what my peers can write.”

In this time of ever shrinking interest in reading and writing for fun, the Reading Riot is just what schools need to reintroduce students to their forgotten love for literature. By focusing on student abilities, the librarians have managed to make it relatable. It’s no longer just a bunch of stories penned by dead guys who philosophized about the world in terms that require a decoder ring to decipher. No, this event brings literature down to its basic roots. It reveals the creativity that resides within students. The presentations that many give expose them to public speaking, a necessary life skill, so even if students are not interested in becoming masters of the pen, they still walk away with valuable lessons.

Mr. Ramsey summed up the Reading Riot perfectly. “Nothing’s perfect for everybody, but many people enjoy this very much. What we have to remember is that this is a celebration of language, of the written word, in all its forms.” It was a great experience and will continue to be for years to come as it plays matchmaker between students and books.