Weekly world headlines

Hillary Rodham Clinton answers questions at a news conference at the United Nations, Tuesday, March 10, 2015.   Clinton conceded that she should have used a government email to conduct business as secretary of state, saying her decision was simply a matter of convenience.  (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Hillary Rodham Clinton answers questions at a news conference at the United Nations, Tuesday, March 10, 2015. Clinton conceded that she should have used a government email to conduct business as secretary of state, saying her decision was simply a matter of “convenience.” (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Steph Krane, Staff Writer

Hillary Clinton faces aftermath of email controversy

This week, possible 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton dealt with allegations that emails sent during her time as Secretary of State were not properly encrypted. Clinton has been scrutinized for using her own private email during her time in the position instead of an official secure State Department email address.

The controversy stems from the 2014 Presidential and Federal Records Act, which requires, per the law, that “officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record.”  Despite the law not being put into effect until after Clinton’s time as Secretary, allegations of secrecy surrounding a personal email server at her house in Chautauqua, New York continue to swirl around the front-runner Democrat presidential nominee.

“When I got to work as Secretary of State, I opted to use my personal email address – which was allowed by the State Department,” Clinton explained at a press conference on Tuesday. “I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and personal emails instead of two. Looking back, it would have been better if I had simply used a second email account.”

Though it’s too early to tell if presidential hopes are lost for the possible 2016 hopeful, allegations of concealment and wrongdoing are not welcome in the tough political climate of today’s elections.

University of Oklahoma frat suspended for racist chant

Following the release of a video of fraternity members participating in a racist chant, two members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon at the University of Oklahoma were suspended this week.

The video, which showed fraternity members chanting racial epithets and declaring that black students would never be admitted in to the fraternity, surfaced early this week and quickly became a topic of national outrage.

University of Oklahoma president David Bowen said on Sunday that “the house will be closed, and as far as I’m concerned, they won’t be back.” On Monday, the national chapter of the SAE fraternity cut ties with the university’s branch, stating that “the chant is in no way endorsed by the organization nor any part of education whatsoever.”

One of the expelled students quickly offered a public apology for his actions shown in the video.  “I am deeply sorry for what I did Saturday night,” former university student Parker Rice said in a statement Tuesday. “It was wrong and reckless. I made a horrible mistake by joining into the singing and encouraging others to do the same.”

For more information, visit http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/11/oklahoma-fraternity-racism-investigation/70144844/

Ferguson police chief Tom Jackson announces resignation

In the midst of a months-long struggle between the Ferguson, Missouri police department and protestors who argue that the department’s policies are racist, Ferguson police chief Tom Jackson announced his resignation this week. The resignation was announced in the aftermath of a Justice Department report that found rampant racism in Ferguson’s police department and city offices.

In the wake of the report, Ronald Brockmeyer and John Shaw, respectively the city’s Municipal Judge and City Manager, also announced that they would be stepping down from their offices.

The report has also caused the ousting of two city police officers and the city’s top court clerk. Federal investigators who are examining the city’s policies have said that a complete overhaul of Ferguson’s police department is not out of the question.

The tactics of the city’s police department have been under investigation since the August 2014 death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown at the hands of white police officer Darren Wilson. Since then, the country has been embroiled in a series of riots and protects claiming that police brutality against African Americans is running rampant. The epicenter of these protests has been Ferguson, a city that has become synonymous with the tension between its police department and its citizens. This week, two city police officers were wounded in riots that are still overtaking the city.

Philly police officer slain in line of duty

This Sunday, Philadelphia police officer Robert Wilson III was gunned down during an attempted robbery at a Gamestop video store in North Philadelphia. Wilson, who was patrolling the store at the time of the incident, briefly exchanged fire with the robbers before he was gunned down.

Carlton Hipps and Ramone Williams were charged in the murder of Wilson, who was in the store at the time to buy a video game for his 9-year-old son’s birthday and to patrol the store.

Following the violence against both Wilson and the two police officers in Ferguson, United States Attorney General Eric Holder issued a statement, saying that “[he condemns] violence against any public safety officials in the strongest terms, and the Department of Justice will never accept any threats or violence directed at those who serve and protect our communities.”

Apple unveils new Apple Watches

This Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled the newest line of “gotta have it” gadgets, the most notable of which was the shiny and much-awaited Apple Watch. The watch, which starts at $350 for a simple aluminum version and ranges to $17,000 for an 18 karat gold edition, features a bevy of apps that promise to make everyday life better.

Cook proudly proclaimed that “we believe Apple Watch will quickly become integral to your day,” portending the ubiquity of the company’s wearable tech. The watch, which was first announced in September, features the ability to do everything from take phone calls to track your heartbeat.

For more information about the Apple Watch, visit http://www.apple.com/watch/