Wingin’ it! Administrators capture Wing Bowl title

WING MAN- NPHS Principal Burt Hynes gobbles down some wings during the 2015 SGA sponsored Wing Bowl. Hynes and the admin team The Dark Side were crowned Wing Bowl champs.

Brooke McCoy

WING MAN- NPHS Principal Burt Hynes gobbles down some wings during the 2015 SGA sponsored Wing Bowl. Hynes and the admin team “The Dark Side” were crowned Wing Bowl champs.

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Walking into North Penn High School’s Senior Cafeteria Thursday evening, spectators were overwhelmed with loud cheers, a big crowd, and the smell of hot, juicy wings. North Penn’s Student Government Association (SGA) held their annual Wing Bowl Competition that involved twenty teams of five members each. The team that would win their heat would move onto the final round. The Ultimate Winner won a $50 PJ’s Gift card, bottles of Hot Sauce, and the Wing Bowl trophy. These teams ranged from the Lacrosse Team to the Latin Club to the Class of 2015 to JROTC. Other teams included a Mr. North Penn team, two SGA teams, a Swim Team, a Social Studies Teachers team called “Pop Pop and the Flat Bellies,” and the infamous Administrative team called “The Dark Side,” where North Penn’s principal, Mr. Burton T. Hynes was the anchor.

In every round, there were five teams that competed in a relay format. The first member would eat five wings and then the second person would eat their five wings, and so on. The anchor had to eat ten wings, and whichever team finished first, moved onto the finals. Mr. North Penn, Swim Team, SGA 1.0, and JROTC were the winners from each round and there were two Wild card winners: Pop Pop and the Flat Bellies, and the Dark Side.

Each team had different strategies and different ways of how to attack the wing. Some would pick the meat off of the bone and then put it in their mouth that way. Others would chew all the meat off of the bone and swallow it all together. A few members would break the bone and suck it off. There were also the players that would put the meat in their mouth and use water bottles to help swallow.

“Our strategy was that if you had a wing that could break, you broke it and like sucked it. And you swallow the first two wings and then just stuff the last three in your mouth. You didn’t really chew those last few wings,” shared SGA President Robert Gaibler from Team SGA 1.0.

As the final round started there was not a clear team in the lead. It was neck and neck the entire way, but the Wildcard team the Dark Side prevailed as the winners. The Administrative team included, Mr. Hynes, Mr. Bartle, Mr. Broxterman, Mr. Nicholson, and Mrs. Schwartz.

Standing proudly with his Wing Bowl trophy in his hands, Mr. Hynes commented, “I was thoroughly impressed with the school spirit, the enthusiasm and to all the teams that participated, kudos go out to everyone, whether they won or they didn’t win. They were here and showing plenty of school spirit. It was just a fantastic evening.”

While everyone was eating wings, or socializing with friends or cheering on their favorite team, SGA members were working hard the entire night and months before to make sure Wing Bowl 2015 was a successful night.

“It was months, weeks of preparation through all of our folks in SGA, getting donations of wings and pizza, and Chick-Fil-A, and drinks, and just the logistics of putting on an event that involves the whole school and different sports teams and clubs. It was great to have the administration and their support. It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it,” said Co-SGA Advisor, Mr. Kyle Berger.

Spectators and competitors left that night with a full stomach, and a night well spent showing pride for North Penn High School.