Annual Knight of the Arts Gala returns to North Penn High School

North Penn Thespian Troupe #5464’s officers and cabinet during last years Knight of Arts Gala.

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

For sixteen years, North Penn High School’s Thespian Troupe #5464 has put on the Knight of the Arts Gala that benefits Broadway Cares Equity Fights Aids (BCEFA). On February 20th, the Thespian Troupe will host this event starting at 7:30 p.m. in the North Penn High School Auditorium. Doors will open at 7 p.m. The coffee shop performances, silent auction, and flea market begin at 7 p.m. as well.

“The Knight of the Arts Gala is an annual even that raises money for AIDS research. The Gala began when a student decided to dedicate his senior project to creating the event. North Penn High School was the first high school to raise money for BCEFA and we’ve continued to do so for sixteen years. We have performances from the thespians – as well as different acts from groups around the school. We also hold a silent auction to raise money for BCEFA,” said Co- BCEFA Coordinator and Senior, Danica Clauser.

BCEFA Coordinator is a cabinet position within the Thespian Troupe. North Penn High School’s seniors, Danica Clauser and Elizabeth Aleide are the coordinators for the 2014-2015 school year and one of their duties is to be in charge of hosting the Knight of the Arts Gala.

Starting in November to prepare for the Knight of the Arts Gala, they hold auditions and pick many solo and group numbers to perform. Along with many thespians performances, there will be a preview of North Penn High School’s Spring Musical, Titanic, North Penn High School’s Dance Team will perform, and Pennbrook, Penndale, and Pennfield will perform a preview from their middle school musicals. There will also be a performance from North Penn’s CMT class, and Pennridge High School is performing a preview of their Spring Musical, Les Mis.

Besides the performances, there will also be artwork from North Penn High School students decorating the lobby, as well as the silent auction. Many playbills, posters, and memorabilia from Broadway shows will be auctioned off before the show begins and during intermission. The big ticket item for the night will be a signed copy of the Disney Movie Annie Script.

There will also be BCEFA ribbons and wristbands being sold throughout the night as well as during school from February 17th– February 20th. Although there is not an admission cost for this evening, the Thespian Troupe kindly asks for a $5 donation to help support the research and funding for BCEFA.

“It’s a really fun night that involves many different clubs and departments from around the school. Plus BCEFA is a very worthy cause and we love supporting it,” said Clauser.