The battle of the ballot: How this year’s midterm elections will shake up American politics

President Barack Obama, right, campaigns for Pennsylvania Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Wolf Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014, at Temple University in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Marykate Owsiany, Staff Writer

Despite the victory of Pennsylvania’s Democrat Tom Wolf, Tuesday’s election was an overall success for Republicans across America. Republicans have gained a 30-20 majority in the US Senate along with a 119-84 margin in the House of Representatives. Already, Democrats have vowed to do everything in their power the prevent GOP achievements in order for them to take back the chamber in the 2016 election, but Republicans are confident that they will steal the White House in the next presidential election.

For now, however, the hoi polloi simply asks, “What does this mean for our country?”

Though the 2014 midterm election results were not necessarily a game changer, the balance of power did shift to the Republicans who must now work and cooperate with Democratic President Obama. Without a doubt, the rise of the Republicans to power will impact our country in several aspects.

Health Care: President Obama has shown great determination to advocate widespread health care during his terms in the White House, as seen specifically in his ObamaCare Act. However, there will certainly be changes to the health care policy with the new, strong Republican influence present in both the House and Senate. Congress will most likely repeal the medical device tax, and the president is very likely to cooperate because the tax is unpopular and criticized.

Keystone XL Pipeline: One of the highest priorities of the GOP is the expansion of the Keystone Pipeline, an oil pipeline in the US and Canada. The passage of construction on the pipeline has been denied by Obama’s administration several times, but Republicans aim to use their strong influence to approve the passage, which would supposedly boost the economy.

Immigration: Now that Republicans have much more power in Congress, President Obama will very quickly take executive action on the immigration and decide exactly who can enter and live in the United States. Executive action regarding immigration would prevent Congress from acting on the topic until after Obama’s term. As of now, Republicans aim to strengthen the nation’s borders rather than adjust immigration laws.

Foreign Policy: “The victory of the Republicans in the U.S. Senate elections will have no effect on nuclear talks,” said Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mahmoud Vaezi.

Foreign policy is a vital part of every government, and now, because of the quickly approaching “deadline” regarding nuclear weapons in Iran, many are very concerned about this nuclear deal and how Republican power may influence it. Contradictory to Vaezi’s opinion, Senator Mark Kirk of Illinois believes that the election’s results could absolutely impact the nuclear deal.

“We will not support an Obama-Khamenei deal that condemns our children to a future where the Middle East is full of nuclear weapons,” said Kirk, one of many Republicans in Senate.

Tax Reform: Undoubtedly, the reform of taxes administered by the Obama Administration will be a high priority for Republicans after their rise to power. Representative Paul Ryan, a Republican who is quite likely to be named as the next chair of the House Ways and Means Committee, demands the need for a tax reform.

“We have to reform this tax code, because we’re taxing American businesses at much higher rates than our foreign competitors are taxing theirs,” said Ryan.

As long as the GOP can gain the approval of President Obama, it is likely that the plan to reform the nation’s taxes will be in full swing by 2016.

Pennsylvania’s People’s Man: Despite the overall victory of the GOP last Tuesday’s election, Pennsylvania waits to see the newly elected governor Tom Wolf’s first move.

“[Wolf is] somebody who understands that opportunity for all is what America’s all about, opportunity for all is what Pennsylvania’s all about,” said President Obama on Wolf.

Wolf, as described by many including President Obama, truly is a people’s man. His top priorities include such goals as investing large sums of money in Pennsylvania’s public schools, raising the minimum wage, creating equal pay for equal work for women, and creating more access for students to college.

Interestingly, Wolf has already implemented a new ban that former Governor Tom Corbett never acknowledged–the ban of gifts. Wolf has banned gifts such as free vacations, meals, sporting events, concerts, and other costly things for himself, his staff, and his political committee. Corbett, in contrast, received thousands of dollars in these “gifts,” which shows a stark difference between the new and former governors.

A new government means change, so Pennsylvania and America as a whole will have to wait and watch how the change of power in government will impact our lives and the future of the country.