PA feeling Wolfish – A look back at the road to the Governor’s mansion

Nafiul Hossain, Staff Writer

The votes are in. The new undisputed Governor-elect of Pennsylvania is Thomas Wolf. He ended the Tom Corbett campaign on November 4 with 54.89% of the votes. So who is this businessman scheduled to take office as Governor of Pennsylvania on January 20, 2015?

For those not aware, Tom Wolf has many highly creditable achievements. He received an A.B. magna cum laude from Dartmouth College in 1972. He then went on to receive a M.Phil. from the University of London in 1978 and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1981. While he was a student, Wolf was also a part of the Peace Corp and spent 2 years in India. Wolf comes from an impressive academic background. After graduating, Wolf started working for the family business Wolf Organization Inc., as a forklift operator until purchasing the company in 1985 with two business partners.

Before Wolf ran for governor, he was a member of Bob Casey’s administration where he served on the Economic Development Board and was on the Pennsylvania Legislative Commission on Urban Schools. Years later, in January 2007, under Ed Rendell, he was the Secretary of Revenue of Pennsylvania until he resigned in 2008. This experience did give Wolf an edge as he now comes into office with at least some experience in Pennsylvania politics.

Wolf also serves as the Chair of the York County United Way, the York County Community Foundation, the York College Board of Trustees, and as Chairman of the York County Chamber of Commerce. He is also heavily involved in the York Jewish Community Center, the Memorial Hospital of York, and the regional public television system.

In 2013, he announced his candidacy for Governor of Pennsylvania. In order to ensure a victory, Wolf pledged $10 million of his personal wealth toward campaigning and expected $5 million from his supporters in Pennsylvania. HIs extensive radio and TV campaigns were working as polls showed Wolf was favored heading into the election. In the end, Wolf was elected as Governor with 54.8% of the vote and is expected to take office on January 20, 2015.

As the 47th Governor of Pennsylvania, creating good jobs is one of his many ambitions. He also plans to a build a 21st century infrastructure, improving higher education, and reducing taxes. But one of his main goals is rebuilding middle class Pennsylvania, leading him to promulgate “A Fresh Start Policy”. He is currently traveling and hearing complaints from struggling families and hopes to build a solid, secure middle class.