Jane Lopoten’s School of Dance spreads holiday cheer

The+Jane+Lopoten+Dance+School+closes+its+performance+at+the+Montgomery+Mall+this+past+Sunday+to+a+crowd+of+holiday+shoppers.+

The Jane Lopoten Dance School closes its performance at the Montgomery Mall this past Sunday to a crowd of holiday shoppers.

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN– Spreading Christmas cheer is dancing for all to see! Dancing? Yes, that’s right, dancing! The Holiday season is the perfect time to put on a performance that will put a smile on everyone’s faces. On Sunday afternoon, dancers from Jane Lopoten’s School of Dance did just that, spreading Holiday joy at the Montgomery Mall by dancing outside of Macy’s. Many of these dancers are North Penn students or students within the district. Jane Lopoten’s studio also danced at the Gwynedd Square Nursing Center in Lansdale. Every other year the studio prepares for their winter performance by selecting holiday themed songs and costumes. The dance instructors start teaching their students the Holiday Show dances in September.

The dancers took the stage on Sunday, filling the mall with the clicking of tap shoes and sounds of Holiday music. Many shoppers and spectators watched the girls from the lower level as well as looking down from the upper level. From a Christmas ballet number to a Hanukkah hip hop dance, Jane Lopoten’s studio showed their diversity in style as well as Holiday cheer.

“We do the Holiday Show to acknowledge all predominate holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah. We do it to entertain people, to spread the word about our dance studio, get our name out there, and to have fun. And to bring holiday cheer,” said North Penn Senior and Jane Lopoten’s student, Marissa Chirico.

After the dancers finished performing in The Montgomery Mall, they went to the Gwynedd Square Nursing Center where the students danced the same songs, but also added in their Jump For Joy dance. At Jane Lopoten’s School of Dance, they offer the program Jump For Joy, allowing special need kids who have a love for dance to learn songs and perform in the Holiday Show as well as the Recital in June.

The residents at the Nursing Home always look forward to the Holiday Show performance as it brings them entertainment and enjoyment.

“Dancing at the nursing home is especially important because most of the people are alone during the holiday season and that’s the worst time to be alone. It’s nice to show them that there are people who think about them, to cheer them up during the holidays and to bring back the reason why we dance: to make people happy,” said Chirico.

Jane Lopoten’s Studio and students are reaching out to the community during the Holiday Times. Many North Penn students as well as Souderton and Central Buck’s Schools have students who dance for Jane Lopoten. By having the diversity of school districts within the studio allows North Penn dancers to learn how other school districts function.

While these performances publicize Jane Lopoten’s School of Dance, it also entertains the Gwynedd Square Nursing Center residents and Montgomery Mall shoppers. The Holiday season is a stressful time, but this performance allows people to stop their crazy shopping to remember the joy and fun in the Holidays.