Swing, funk, and solo talent impress audiences at annual Knight of Jazz

Guest Soloist John Swana performs with the North Penn High School Navy Jazz Band on the annual Knight of Jazz.

Marykate Owsiany, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN– Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker– these names are only a few of the legends who have inspired America’s own genre of music: jazz. Since the late 19th Century, jazz music has been a prominent sound in our country, and its various swing, funk, and Latin styles remain loved even now in modern day society.

On Monday night at Pennfield Middle School, bands across North Penn School District showcased this passion for jazz in the annual Knight of Jazz. Elementary, middle, and high school students were all featured in the program, and, true to tradition, were joined by a talented guest soloist who just might be one of the next legends of jazz music, Mr. John Swana.

Starting the show was a band comprised of students from Gwynedd-Square and Inglewood Elementary Schools, directed by Mrs. Jordan Wehr. The band kicked off the show with a swing tune called “Crank it Up,” which began with a catchy bass clarinet riff. Next, the band played a Latin tune in which guest soloist Mr. Swana made his first appearance on his valve trombone, improvising over the chord progressions of the young band.

Next, the North Penn Elementary Jazz Band, directed by Mr. Alan Malachowski, entered the stage and earned many chuckles from the audience as the students chanted the words “peanut butter cup” over a saxophone soli during a swing tune called “That’s My Peanut Butter Cup.” Following this swing tune was another Latin song, which again featured Mr. Swana. However, instead of again playing his trombone, he impressed the crowds with the unique sounds of his EVI, otherwise known as an “electronic valve instrument.”

The EVI is proof that as technology advances in our society, even music takes extreme steps further than the typical horns and woodwinds. The EVI is modeled after a trumpet, with three buttons that act as valves along with a revolving knob that allows the player to reach up to eight octaves. The instrument uses a synthesizer and a foot pedal to create extremely unique, interesting sounds unlike any of the traditional instruments. Swana has mastered this instrument, and his impressive riffs and licks over the background provided by the young band impressed the audience.

“I like it because there is a certain thing about it that has a freedom. Brass is more about strength. The EVI is more about finesse, so when I move around it’s all about being loose, whereas when you look at a brass instrument, you need to focus in a tighter way,” said Mr. Swana of his unique instrument.

However, although Mr. Swana loves creating distinct new sounds with his EVI, he believes that it is better for students to begin with basic instruments like woodwinds and brass.

“I think the typical instruments create a great foundation, because you learn about your instrument and how your body has to be to make a good sound. The EVI doesn’t do this so much,” said Mr. Swana.

Regardless of its possible inability to provide students with a foundation for music, the EVI entertained the crowd throughout the night during Mr. Swana’s many solos.

After the two elementary school performances, the Pennbrook Middle School Jazz Band, directed by Mr. Peter Neu, featured Mr. Swana on his valve trombone in a beautiful ballad called “‘Round Midnight.” Following the piece, the band excited the crowd with an excellent, energetic performance of the famous jazz song, “Birdland.”

After Pennbrook’s performance, the two other middle school bands continued to impress the audience. Penndale Middle School Jazz Band, directed by Mr. Robert Kennedy, opened up with a slower jazz tune featuring trumpet player Alexa Lebron and Mr. Swana on his valve trombone. The two played fascinating solos using plungers over their instruments to morph their sounds in a highly unique way. After an upbeat latin tune by the Penndale band, Pennfield Middle School Jazz Band played, directed by Mr. David Orehowsky.

Pennfield’s performance of “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” excited the crowd with a fun Dixieland feel that featured a frontline group consisting of a clarinet, a trumpet, two trombones, and the bari sax. In Pennfield’s next song, “Trofeo de Bolos,” six soloists, including Mr. Swana on his EVI, wowed the crowd.

After the Pennfield band played, the North Penn High School Columbia Jazz Band, co-directed by Mr. Peter Neu and Mr. John Josten, took the stage. As an alto saxophonist in the Columbia band, I was lucky to have the opportunity to both perform for all my past and present music directors and work with the very talented Mr. Swana. We opened with a swing chart called “Love for Sale,” which is dominated by the bass instruments. After the swing tune, we played a funk chart called “The Chicken” in which Mr. Swana performed and soloed with us. Playing side by side with such a talented, well-respected man among modern day jazz artists was an amazing experience.

After the Columbia performance, the other North Penn Jazz Band, the Navy Band, directed by Mr. David DeValentino, took the stage and wowed the crowd with two very impressive charts, “The Swizzle” and “Superbone Meets the Badman.” Both tunes featured talented soloists, including one last performance by Mr. Swana on his valve trombone.

Besides providing a great experience to listen to and perform with a talented Mr. Swana and his unique instruments, the Knight of Jazz allowed students from of all ages to showcase their talents for their parents, fellow peers, and former and future music teachers.

“From my experience, it’s an amazing program,” said Mr. Swana of the night, for this is not the first year that he has been featured in the program. “I’m really impressed by the quality of playing by the students, all the way from elementary school to the high school.”

The “Knight” blew away all listeners, and was, as it is every year, a huge success for the young jazz students.

Mr. Swana demonstrating his EVI: www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33XAioIHQ8