So generous, it’s scary: North Penn Thespians trade cans for candy in Trick of Treat so Tots Can Eat Fundraiser

North Penn students collect cans like these to fill the paper bags distributed to their first period classes for a chance to win a bowl of candy.

Molly Dooling, Staff Writer

“Trick or Treat, smell my feet! Give me something good to eat!”

Every year, millions of children across the country dress up in their best costumes to celebrate the one holiday that allows kids to eat piles upon piles of candy: Halloween. The sugar rush, free candy, and terrifying haunted houses are only a few of the reasons that keep this 269-year-old holiday going.

What some people don’t know, however, is that also happening this time of year is one of the most participated-in events for the International Thespian Society: Trick or Treat so Tots Can Eat. This annual nationwide community service initiative allows students to bring in canned goods and gives the cans away to needy organizations.

North Penn’s own Thespian Troupe 5464 is also partaking in the event. Running from October 22nd to 31st, the initiative encourages students to bring in nonperishable canned goods to their first period classes, each of which have their own brown paper bags into which to place the cans.

Liz Jebran, fundraising coordinator of the Thespian Troupe and the one in charge of collecting goods from North Penn, explains how significant this collection is.

“I think that this charity is so important, because I think sometimes we take for granted having food on the table, and we forget how truly lucky we are to have that. This is for the people who aren’t as fortunate and who do not have the privilege of eating a well-nourished meal every day.”

Jebran added that in order to get students to participate in the donations, the Thespian Troupe will provide the top three classes who collected the largest weight of canned goods with a bowl of candy.

Last year, the Thespian Troupe collected close to 1,500 pounds of food, feeding hundreds of needy families in the area. This year, they hope to increase their profits even more in the interest of helping as many needy families as possible. Every year, the collection proves a fun challenge for students and Thespians alike, all for the worthy cause of fighting hunger – something scarier than any Haunted House or Jack’o’lantern – and getting North Penn into the spirit of giving.