Heckler leads Knights in rout of Souderton

Evan Hayes

ICE DOMINATION: The Knights face off with Souderton in their December 10 matchup. The Knights blanked the Braves 7-0.

Evan Hayes, Staff Writer

COLMAR – The North Penn Knights Ice Hockey team was back in action Wednesday night, dominating the Souderton Braves by a score of 7-0. Behind a masterful offensive attack and stout defensive play, the Knights improved to 3-1 while sending Souderton (0-7) to its seventh consecutive loss. The Knights were led by junior Derek Heckler with 4 goals, junior Alex Peterson with 5 assists, and junior Jake Snyder with 17 saves.

Visibly more physical and mentally tougher, the Knights jumped on the Braves right away, with Heckler scoring the first goal of the night thirty-seven seconds into the game, foreshadowing events to come.  Heckler would go on to score two more times in the first period, and while he, Peterson, and sophomore Jake Heckenberger would lead the Knights on the offensive end, the defensive play of the team, led by Snyder and seniors Matthew Fox and Austin Redilla, held Souderton scoreless.

The Knights were marred by penalties in the second period, with 6 different players receiving penalties, while the Braves only received one. However, the defense stepped up, providing the Knights with  rock solid play during those minutes they were down a man. A goal by Heckenberger pushed the lead to 4-0 as the period came to a close. Coach Kevin Vaitis was quick to comment on that important defensive play.

“We were a little careless with some of our play there, led to some penalties on us. But defensively we were strong, kept all our shots to the outside,” said Vaitis. “With Jake or Johnny in net, if we’re able to keep the shots to the outside, we’re going to win a lot of hockey games.”

The Knights put the Braves away in the third period, getting back to the physical, yet controlled, team play they exhibited in the first period. Andrew Galetta scored halfway through the period, assisted by Jared Berkley and Matthew Fox, while Peterson slid his way through the Souderton defense four minutes later to score unassisted. Heckler proceeded to add insult to the Braves injury, scoring his fourth goal of the night with twelve and a half seconds remaining in the game, ensuring the blowout.

Vaitis was pleased with the win, crediting the offensive play and strong goaltending.

“Definitely, led by Heckler, Peterson, and Heckenberger there, they are a very strong Knight. Jake Snyder in net, along with solid defense across the board was important in picking up the win tonight.”

The Knights will look to continue their high level of play Thursday away at Council Rock North.