Cool under pressure; Peterson scores six as Knights top Neshaminy

KNIGHTS+ICE+THE+SKINS%3A+Alex+Petersons+6+goals+led+the+way+in+North+Penns+7-2+win+over+Neshaminy+at+Hatfield+Ice+on+Thursday+night.+

Evan Hayes

KNIGHTS ICE THE SKINS: Alex Peterson’s 6 goals led the way in North Penn’s 7-2 win over Neshaminy at Hatfield Ice on Thursday night.

Evan Hayes, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN- North Penn knew they would be playing a physical opponent in Neshaminy. But no one could have anticipated the level of physicality that was on display on Thursday Night.

Neshaminy struck quickly, scoring the first goal of the game at 11:04. North Penn (2-1 overall) responded with a goal, but after getting sucked into a penalty, Neshaminy scored again to make it 2-1. The final six minutes of the first period saw four different North Penn players and three different Neshaminy players receive penalties, including one from each team receiving ten minute penalties. The original penalties were handed out to two players from each team, with a separate altercation taking place as the referees reported the penalties to the scorers, resulting in a very crowded penalty box and setting the tone for the rest of the game. The first period ended with Neshaminy leading 2-1, while controlling the puck offensively, leading North Penn 15-12 in shots on goal. Head coach Kevin Vaitis saw it coming, and told his team to be ready going into the game.

“I told the guys going into the game that Neshaminy likes to play a tough, physical game. Sometimes they play too physically and they get penalties like that,” said Vaitis. “I told them we have to stay out of the box then, focus on playing our game, and if we get into power plays, just put the puck in the back of the net.”

His players took this to heart in the second period, led by a determined defense and the offensive wizardry of Alex Peterson. Adding to his goal in the first period, Peterson had a hat-trick halfway through the second, his third goal coming on a 5-3 North Penn powerplay, making the score 3-2 for North Penn’s first lead. They would lead from then on, able to capitalize on Neshaminy’s over aggressive play, scoring again on a powerplay goal, this time with Peterson shoveling a beautiful pass across the ice to Jake Heckenberger for the goal. Peterson scored with 20.5 seconds left in the second period to end a scorching run by the Knights, taking them into the final period up 5-2. The offense came alive, pushing the shots on goal advantage to 27-22.

The offensive onslaught continued in the third period, with another Peterson goal coming at 13:59, pushing his total to five and the score to 6-2. Neshaminy had no answer for the Knights in the period, held scoreless by sophomore goalie John Roberts, unable to capitalize on multiple powerplay opportunities. Peterson scored one more time with 2:03 left in the game, solidifying the blowout.

Coach Viatis was proud of his defense, crediting them specifically with how they have responded after losing their first game of the season to Pennsbury by one.

“After the first game, it was really disappointing the way we came out and played against Pennsbury, we lost 6-7. But these last two games against CB East and Neshaminy we’ve played much better defensively in our zone,” said Viatis. “We started to do that the second period, and we really jumped on their defensemen, they coughed up the puck, and we were able to put the puck in the back of the net. When we do that, we’re a dangerous team and we can play a good game then.”

The Knights will continue their season on December 10 against Souderton.