Get to know your local State Representative: Todd Stephens

State Representative in Pennsylvania’s 151st district, Todd Stephens, begins his 10th term this January after winning his re-election last November.

Entrusted with the responsibility of taking care of all of the 60,000 constituents in all of Horsham and Montgomery townships, and portions of both Lower Gwyennd and Dublin townships, which is formally known as Pennsylvania’s 151st legislative district, 10-year incumbent, Representative Todd Stephens strives to make a change, but also to keep his district the same as much as possible.

“For me, it’s pride in the area in which we all live. I was born here and raised here. I’m raising my family here. I love this place. And I think it has so much to offer families today. And it’s really a drive to make sure that my kids and the other kids who are growing up here really have the same great community that I’ve enjoyed my entire life and I grew up in. It helped shape me. I am a product of my community. It’s personal for me,” Stephens explained.

For me, it’s pride in the area in which we all live. I was born here and raised here. I’m raising my family here. I love this place. And I think it has so much to offer families today. And it’s really a drive to make sure that my kids and the other kids who are growing up here really have the same great community that I’ve enjoyed my entire life and I grew up in. It helped shape me. I am a product of my community. It’s personal for me.

— State Representative, Todd Stephens

Stephens originally had little interest in a political career up until his time as a student at Shippensburg University. There, he dated a girl who was coincidentally the president of their Student Government Association. The two would frequently travel between Harrisburg and Shippensburg as lobbyists to advocate for State Representatives and Senators.

“Because Shippensburg is owned by Pennsylvania, we’re entirely dependent upon the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for all our funding and everything else like that. She would spend a lot of time lobbying on behalf of the State System of Higher Education in Harrisburgwhich is only about a 40-minute drive from the university. I would kind of tag along and I really enjoyed interacting with the legislators and following the legislative process,” Stephens said.

Debating was a natural characteristic of Stephens from an early age, which contributed to his passion for advocating for the State System of Higher Education up in Harrisburg.

“I loved to debate when I was in high school; I could debate either side of an issue. It used to drive my mother crazy because she used to say, ‘I would argue for the sake of arguing.’ I did enjoy a good healthy debate. I really enjoyed looking at issues from different perspectives,” Stephens said.

Being in Harrisburg gave Stephens the taste he needed to pursue some type of political career. His second dip into politics came within an internship opportunity for his local State Representativewho, ironically, served the same seat Stephens currently holds.

“I had always been a camp counselor or swim instructorthings like that. And I think a lot of people do those jobs during the summers. But now, here was an opportunity to go and have an internship in a statehouse office. Interestingly, my predecessor was Rick Taylor, before him was Jean McGill, and before him was George Saurman. And George Saurman is the one I interned with when I attend Shippensburg. He held my seat, and it’s funny now considering that he is my constituent,” Stephens said.

At that point, Stephens knew he was interested in politics to the level where he wanted to be a lawmaker himself one day. But instead of rushing it, he received some good advice and went to law school. He started working at the McHenry County Courthouse and simultaneously attended law school at night. After law school, he joined the McGorry County District Attorney’s office and spent a total of 10 years as a prosecutor there. In that time, Stephens ran the Sex Crimes Unit, the Major Crimes Unit, and the Firearms Unit. Then in 2008, an opportunity to run for Pennsylvania’s 151st district arose and he took it. But his welcome into campaigning wasn’t a happy ending.

“I decided to remain involved in politics. Then, the opportunity to run for State Representative arose in 2008 and I took it. Unfortunately, I lost in 2008, by about 400 votes, and then got back on the saddle and ran again in 2010 and won, and then won re-election in 2012, 14, 16, 18, and, of course, in 2020,” Stephens said.

After winning his first election in 2010, Stephens was quick to make use of his new legislative position in the State House.

“When I first got into Office, I spent almost all my time working on criminal justice issues. As a former prosecutor, I’m a champion for victims’ rights and advocating for victims of crimes, and working to help reduce recidivism in the criminal justice system so that we don’t have as many victims of crimes, sadly as we do today. But also working to ensure that victims are given the restitution that they deserve,” Stephens said.

Stephens serves on the Judiciary Committee, Consumer Affairs Committee, the Children and Youth Committee, and the Transportation Committee.

If there was one major aspect of being in the State House that Stephens could say he truly admires, it’s the fact that the legislative body brings a unique perspective on diversityand he doesn’t mean only by ethnicity and ideology. When we think of diversity, a lot of times we think of ethnic diversity, but Pennsylvania has such a rich diversity in so many areas. We are quick to forget that we are diverse religiously, economically, and even geographically.

“I think that it’s great that people bring varied experiences, particularly to the State House of Representatives. It’s called the ‘People’s House.’ I have colleagues who were farmers, who were teachers, who were accountants, and many still are. They still have a family farm, they still may have an accounting firm, they may do some other things. I even have a colleague who was a contractor. The beauty of that is when we discuss and debate issues, we get so many different perspectives,” Stephens explained.

it’s called the ‘People’s House.’ I have colleagues who were farmers, who were teachers, who were accountants, and many still are. They still have a family farm, they still may have an accounting firm, they may do some other things. I even have a colleague who was a contractor. The beauty of that is when we discuss and debate issues, we get so many different perspectives.

— Todd Stephens

For most people, having the same role for 10-years can seem like a life of nothing but repetition. For Stephens, his role is anything but stagnant.

“The one thing I really love about this job is that there is no regular dayevery day is different,” Stephens said.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are session days. When he is in session, he would be up in Harrisburg and not his district office in North Wales. Typically, he would drive up there and sometimes stay overnight, depending on his schedule.

“On session days, we might have committee meetings in between the informal breakfast meetings and sessions. I might have a breakfast meeting at 8 or 8:30, then meet with constituents or other interest groups, maybe a committee meeting at 9:30 or 10 o’clock. Sometimes there are two committee meetings, one at 9 and another at 10. And we’re shuffling through the Capitol trying to get to the two, but then by 11, the session starts, and then we’re usually on the House floor most of the afternoon,” Stephens explained.

When Stephens is not in Harrisburg, he is in meeting with constituents and/or different organizations that serve the community. He’s also doing interviews with reporters, whether they’re from a student newspaper or The Inquirer. When he is home, it’s a matter of being in the district meeting with the people that he serves. For him, that’s what it is all about.

Politics is always polarizing and always had been, and Stephens has an interesting point of view as to why that is the case, especially in our times.

“I think there’s a major problem in American politics today: so many people live in an echo chamber and they don’t get that other perspectivethat alternative point of view. I think it’s really a problem. It’s weird because as connected as social media would seem to make us, instead, it seems to perpetuate that echo chamber even more,” Stephens said.

“And it is sometimes frustrating because there are people on the right, who are just giving me the news from Fox News, which is one American perspective, and then I’ve got the folks on the left, who are just giving me the MSNBC, left perspective. And so, that is why I try to read so much because I want those different perspectives,” Stephens added.

Stephens’s situation, in regards to his districts’ political ideology, is intriguing. In the 151st, 60% of voters voted for Joe Biden, 53% voted for Stephens, and they voted for Brian Fitzpatrick. They voted for Joe Biden, at the top, and then they voted for, Republican Brian Fitzpatrick, Republican Todd Stephens. So it is important for Stephens to understand both perspectives to remain in office.

“I think it’s frustrating sometimes because the minute an article hits, they want a politician screaming down the street hollering and yelling about what needs to be done. And I’m usually the guy who kind of sits back and says, ‘all right, like, let’s try to figure this out.’ I want to see one article, but now I’d like to see a little bit more to get me as much information and data as possible,” Stephens said.

Continuing on his political career, Stephens plans on remaining in office to help better shape his community and to keep the same community that he had himself growing up.

I’m a ‘lifer,’ here. I’m born and raised here. I joke I’ll be buried in the cemetery here. And I think it’s a great place to live, work, and raise a family, which is why I’m doing that

— Todd Stephens

“I’m a ‘lifer,’ here. I’m born and raised here. I joke I’ll be buried in the cemetery here. And I think it’s a great place to live, work, and raise a family, which is why I’m doing that,” Stephens said.