Sarah Bower getting schooled in Rock

Submitted Photo

Sarah Bower performing at Fort Washington School of Rock in the Lollapalooza show in September 2015.

Tyra Gwalthney, Staff Writer

Between school, work, homework, and friends, it is understandable why some people don’t get very involved in our school and in our community. For North Penn junior Sarah Bower, however, this is definitely not the case.

Bower, on top of seven hour school days, juggles chorus, women’s choir, the musicals, plays, and thespians, where she is the visual coordinator. That is just her in school activities.

Outside of school, she is involved in School of Rock in Fort Washington, where she plays keyboard, bass guitar, and sings.

In her School of Rock, she is a part of the regular program and the house band, which is an auditioned group of about 15-20 kids that perform around the community. They also go on a one week tour in the summer. Last year, they went to New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Vermont.

Sarah Bower / YouTube

“I started theater when I was four, mainly because my mom wanted me to try everything as a child,” said Bower, “I started Theater and Kids camp when I was five. My first play I was the lead in Little Red Riding Hood, and I remember being scared of messing up in front of the parents.”

She performed in her first musical when she was in 3rd grade called Dear Edwina. She started keyboard and singing lessons when she was 7, but had a hiatus until she picked them up again when she was 10. She started bass guitar lessons when she was 11.

“From then on, I got more involved in theater at different programs around my community. I fell in love with being on stage and all of the friends I made who enjoy it as well.”

She started her School of Rock in fifth grade because of family friends, especially her mother who thought she would excel because she was never afraid to be on stage.

“Theater has helped me improve on my public speaking and talking to people in general. Being in theater has made me more comfortable in my skin. It’s been a great outlet for me to show my emotion, and find people that are just like me,” said Bower.

Since she has started at the high school, Bower has been a part of Once in a Lifetime, Titanic, and As You Like It, which is set to be performed on November 19-21st at 7:30pm, and November 22nd at 2:00pm. Trying to keep all of these activities straight would make anyone’s head spin, yet Sarah has learned one of the most valuable lessons you can acquire in high school: time management.

“My School of Rock program understands when I occasionally have to miss a lesson or rehearsal due to play practices or choir rehearsals/performances. They always find ways to work around it to try to find times that are more convenient for me. Between all of that and balancing school work, that’s where it gets a little tough. Some nights are better than others yet I always find a way to make sure I get all of my homework done. High school is definitely a great way to develop good time management skills.”

As for Sarah’s future after high school, music is definitely going to be a part of her life.

“Honestly, now, I’m leaning towards music performance or music education,” Bower mentioned “My music teachers have made such an impact on my life personally and musically that I would love to do that for others. I also love kids, and want to do music for the rest of my life, and those occupations seem like a good way to incorporate both.”

It is never too late to get involved in school. If you are thinking about joining any theater clubs or musicals, as scary as it may be, Sarah can assure that it is well worth it.

“If you’re looking to get involved at the high school, the music and theater programs are the best place to start. They are all such welcoming and fun loving people. When you audition for the select groups, the directors understand that you may be nervous, but just remain as calm as you can and do your very best because at the end of the day, that’s all you really can do. When starting an instrument you may have to go through a couple before you figure out which one is good for you, but once you find “your” instrument, you will fall in love. The biggest advice I can give for that is to stay with it, practice hard, and try your hardest. Picking up an instrument is hard and all you need is time and motivation.”