It’s all business for North Penn’s Oscar Armas-Luy

Photo submitted by Ridson Photography.

Oscar Armas-Luy speaks about his sock company at the Junior Achievement National Leadership Summit in Washington, DC.

Abby Mohr, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – At first glance, Oscar Armas-Luy appears to be just another student hanging out in the school store, but as a customer walks through the door, he assumes an air of professionalism akin to that of a successful businessman.

Essentially, Armas-Luy is well on his way as he has expanded his entrepreneurial skills into various areas of his life. Just last year, he and other high school students got together to begin a sock business, entitled Victory Socks, purely for the learning experience.

“Socks just made so much sense because everybody needs socks, they have a broad market appeal, and people are inclined to buy more than one pair, so we would make more money that way. Also, socks haven’t been changed for hundreds of years so it’s a field that’s ripe for innovation and for us to better it.”

Within moments of speaking with Armas-Luy, it was clear that he and his fellow entrepreneurs had done their research and held a strong vision of what they wanted their company to be. This drive allowed for the company to thrive and ultimately be sold. Just this year, after liquidating the company, Armas-Luy and his colleagues were able to donate $700 to the charity “Cradles to Crayons,” as well as return 750% of their profit to their investors.

November was an eventful month for Armas-Luy as he was invited to speak at the Junior Achievement Gala in Philadelphia about his sock business. Junior Achievement is a non-profit national organization with four million members that teaches young people financial literacy and entrepreneurship. The gala, which doubled as a fundraiser for the organization, was able to raise about $275,000 from local businesses.

Additionally, Armas was selected to be the new Programs Director for the National President of the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). Going through a rigorous application and interview process, Armas-Luy was selected among many candidates for this prestigious position.

“The position really means a lot to me because FBLA is an organization that has given so much to me and it’s nice to be able to give back to the members and create more opportunities for them. This year, I really hope to create more post-high school extra-curricular opportunities for our members and to inspire and fund member-run businesses, so I’m really excited to be able to help with that.”

Currently president of North Penn’s chapter of the FBLA, Armas-Luy credits the club for growing his passion for business and encouraging him to push the boundaries of entrepreneurship.

“FBLA is just a lot of fun because everybody there is action-oriented and everybody loves business as much as I do, so it’s nice to be around those people and people that encourage that. It’s just made me love business even more.”

Despite his extensive accolades, Armas-Luy remains humble about his expectations for the future, simply wanting to continue his passion for entrepreneurship.

“In 10 years I really just see myself doing what I’m doing right now, which is just grinding and working to build something great.”

Armas’s driven attitude and commitment are bound to take him far no matter where he goes in the future. Keep an eye on Forbes Magazine, because one day, there will no doubt be a beaming North Penn alumnus on the cover.