Dear Caitlyn Ricci

Kelly Harrington, Staff Writer

There is a great deal of pressure in today’s world to get a college education. I think that is something most of us want and maybe even feel entitled to. Unfortunately, there is a price to pay for a college education and for students in the United States that price is a hefty one. Many people find themselves in situations where paying the price is difficult, but they do have options. In the case of Caitlyn Ricci, she decided her only option for paying for college was to sue her parents.

Currently, the Appellate Division of New Jersey’s Superior Court is in the process of reviewing Caitlyn Ricci’s case against her parents. The question: should parents be forced to pay for their children’s education? In Caitlyn’s case, she is living with her grandparents and does not have a relationship with either of her parents but still expects them to pay for her out of state Temple University tuition.

This is where my sympathy for Caitlyn’s situation begins to wane. It appears that an already strained relationship between Caitlyn and her parents was made worse by some of Caitlyn’s actions. She left an internship program at Disney after getting into trouble there and chose to leave her mother’s home in February of 2013 to live with her grandparents. The situation was made worse because Caitlyn’s grandparents have a long standing rift with their son, Caitlyn’s father.

Several months after moving in with her grandparents, she sued her parents for her $906 community college tuition at Rowen College. But for Caitlyn, just one lawsuit against her parents was not enough, since Rowan only offers associate degrees. Her case was heard in Camden County where a judge ruled that her divorced parents must pay $16,000 toward her Temple tuition. When her parents refused to pay, her case was escalated to the Appellate Division of New Jersey’s Superior Court.

Caitlyn’s demands seen incredibly unfair, considering her inability to maintain a relationship with her parents, her failure to apply for financial aid, and even her refusal to go to a New Jersey state school, which would have made tuition more manageable. She didn’t even tell her parents she planned on going to Temple University; imagine that bill showing up on your doorstep from a daughter you haven’t spoken to in months.

New Jersey law treats college education as a necessity provided by parents, putting an extra burden on divorced parents. Each situation is reviewed on a case by case basis, and all extenuating circumstances are considered, such as the relationship between parent and child. In some scenarios, perhaps forcing parents to pay college tuition has merit, but in the case of Caitlyn Ricci, I believe it certainly does not. I agree with Caitlyn’s parents that they have extenuating circumstances, and so I believe their appeal of the Camden judge’s decision is justified. It’s a shame this law even exists; clearly, for many parents, its implications seem unfair. However, at least for any more divorced parents in the state of New Jersey, this case will be setting a precedent for equal treatment of both married and divorced parents.

So, in case you’re reading this, Caitlyn Ricci, I hope you can see things from your parents’ point of view. I understand your desire for a college education and sincerely hope you attain it, but there has to be a better way. I wish you and your parents all the best.