A year in Spain: 5 things Taylor Young wants you to know

Submitted Photo

Taylor Young pauses for a picture in Santiago, Spain in October 2015.

Taylor Young, Editor in Chief

Taylor Young spent the 2015-2016 school year as an exchange student in Spain. She returns to the Knight Crier staff as Executive Editor for her senior year.

Sitting on a plane for the first time on September 29th, 2015, intently watching the virtual plane on the screen in front of me slowly creep its way closer and closer to Zurich, Switzerland and from there to Madrid, Spain, reality began to set into my sixteen-year-old state of mind: my feet wouldn’t be touching American soil for over nine months.

After being accepted and granted a full scholarship by NPHS’s International Friendship Committee to study abroad in A Coruña, Spain for my junior year of high school, I counted down each day until my scheduled departure date arrived. Despite all the hopes of a smooth departure, I encountered several obstacles regarding my visa, which ended up delaying my leaving by about a month. Living out of my suitcases, attending school for a few days, and constantly checking the inbox to my email, I waited in agony. One morning, I opened an email from a representative from the Consulate General in New York after waking up, and I couldn’t believe what I was reading; “The visa is finally APPROVED!!!”

With that said, my flight was booked, and before I knew it I was giving my last hug and kiss to my mom on Wall Street. I embarked on my first flight in the late evening in New York’s JFK airport, landed in Switzerland, boarded my connecting flight, and arrived in Spain in the early afternoon, excited, yet exhausted, to finally embark on my year abroad, meet my host family, and immerse myself in the Spanish culture.

Not quite sure what to expect when I arrived on September 30th, 2015, I was surprise to be received in the airport by a young male in a black t-shirt and jeans. Upon confirming his question to see if I was Taylor Young, he explained that I was supposed to follow him and spend the night with him until the following day, when I would catch a train to finally join my host family. Although he stated he was a volunteer with AFS, the organization that IFC had given me the scholarship to study abroad through, I was extremely skeptical and uncomfortable. In the end, I refused to spend the night with him and communicated with AFS officials that other arraignments would need to be made.

The following morning, October 1st, 2016, I caught a train at 7:00am and arrived in La Coruña’s train station six hours later, where I was warmly greeted with open arms by my host father and grandmother. Shortly after, I met my host mother, brothers, and even extended family members. In this moment, I knew that I had been extremely blessed. Arriving to my destination was truly a struggle, but reflecting on what I gained from my year abroad, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Communicating my entire junior year experience is virtually impossible; I’d need to write a book in order to compile every detail of my experience. Therefore, I’ve decided to share the five things I want you to know about my junior year in Spain:

1. Keeping an open mind was my main goal. From the moment I applied to study abroad, I knew that this type of experience requires entering the situation free of expectations. Studying abroad is a lifetime experience that not many people are given the opportunity to undergo, and I can’t express my gratitude for the adventure I was awarded. With that in mind, I wanted to make the most of my time spent in Spain. When encountered with the opportunity to try something new, such as an activity or food, I fully welcomed the offer. On my third day of school, I walked to the beach with my gym class and took a surfing lesson. When visiting a nearby city with my host family, I tried octopus for the first time and fell in love it. On my host dad’s birthday, I tried cow tongue and loved it almost as much as octopus. When receiving poor grades on tests, I reminded myself not to worry; I was in Spain to learn the language and culture. Although I made (and continue to make) errors in my Spanish, I kept (and keep) trying. If I hadn’t been open to trying new things, I wouldn’t have fully experienced the Spanish culture, and immersing myself into their lifestyle was one of my major goals.

1. My host family became my second family. I was sitting in the break room along with the other summer cleaning crew members at Pennfield Middle School in July of 2015 when I realized I had an email with an attachment from AFS; I had finally received the information regarding who my host family would be. Not able to contain my excitement, I immediately sent an email to my host mom. From that day on, we messaged each other through emails and a texting app, and about once a week, my host family and I would video chat each other. By the time I had arrived, I felt as though I had known these people my entire life. Never once did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable in their home; my host family, who I consider to be my second family, always made sure I felt like I was one of their own. Including me in on everything, caring for me, supporting me through any worries or problems I had, and giving me the experience of a lifetime, my second family will never know how grateful I am for their kindness. Leaving these people who I came to love genuinely was the most difficult part of my junior year abroad. Although I knew this experience couldn’t be permanent, I couldn’t bring myself to terms that I would actually have to leave these wonderful humans. After living and spending virtually all of my time with the same people over the course of nine months, it seemed impossible to leave them. Although I physically cannot be with my second family, I know that our relationship will last a lifetime, and I hold that gift very close to my heart. Being one of the most fortunate people, I can truthfully say that I have a home away from home, where I have a second family.

1. Dreaming and thinking in Spanish became a reality. One morning I woke up and practically leaped out of bed from excitement; I had my first dream in Spanish! Before I departed for Spain, I was told that this would start happening when one starts to grasp the language pretty well. Being a huge personal accomplishment, I was amazed that dreaming in Spanish was even possible. Until one actually experiences a dream in another language, it’s difficult to express the emotions one feels. Not only did dreaming in Spanish occur, but also thinking. When I first arrived in Spain, thinking became a difficult process. For instance, when engaging in a conversation, I heard the words, translated them to English, thought of my response, translated it to Spanish, and attempted to enunciate the language properly. However, as time went on and I was surrounded by a sea of Spanish, I eventually arrived to a point where I could understand, process, and reflect so much in Spanish that I surprised myself. By no means am I an expert in the Spanish language, but my skills in writing, listening, speaking, and reading improved more than I had ever thought was possible.

1. The simplest moments are my favorite memories. Reflecting on my junior year abroad, I’ve found that the simplest moments have been the ones that stand out most from the experience. Whether it was walking to buy a fresh loaf of bread with my mom, making silly videos with my brothers in the grocery store, car, mall, etc., riding in the bus with my dad, drinking coffee with my grandmother, having dinner with the entire extended family, or listening to my brothers talk about their day at school, I embrace each and every moment that may seem insignificant to others. My experience in Spain was not a vacation; it was an opportunity to live in another country, learn a new language and culture, and form relationships. It was in those candid moments that I truly felt utter gratitude. If it weren’t for the IFC, I wouldn’t have these memories to reflect upon.

1. I would do it all over again. Although I faced a number of difficulties in order to arrive in the home of my second family, I would welcome every single moment back if it meant I would experience my junior year abroad again. Those difficulties helped shaped my experience and seemed trivial once I actually became immersed in the daily Spanish life. I was fortunate enough to have experienced my time abroad under such great circumstances. Proving to be unconditionally cared for, supported, loved, guided, and taught, I was placed in the hands of Spain’s finest citizens.

In the two and a half months since I’ve been back from Spain, reflecting upon my experience has occupied most of my thoughts, both in English and Spanish. After having such a positive, life changing adventure, the above five things are what have been most significant to me.