Football team managers much more than “water girls”

Mikaela Mosley

Football team managers Alexa Steltz (left) and Victoria Roetman (right) deliver water to players during last Friday night’s Homecoming football game. The two’s duties extend far beyond being “water girls”

Mikaela Mosley, Staff Writer

Students rightly praise their peers after victorious games, such as North Penn’s Homecoming win against Souderton. Little do they know that wins like these could not be achieved without the efforts of many support staff that work quietly in the shadows, like Victoria Roetman and Alexa Steltz. Together, the two sophomores have effectively helped to manage a football team of ninety one.

Roetman and Steltz first began managing the North Penn High School Varsity, Junior Varsity, and sophomore football teams in their freshman year. Because Steltz’s brother was on the football team, they found themselves at the North Penn football games more then they found themselves anywhere else. The two figured that they could make their time at the field useful.

“My brother played and I always wanted to be on the field,” said Steltz. “So I figured I could help and be on the field [as a manager].”

“We came to the football games before we managed because of her brother so we were always here and we figured that we could work and help on the field,” added Roetman.

Steltz stands ready to deliver water during the Homecoming football game on Friday, October 9th
Mikaela Mosley

In fact, they did become very useful. The two became vital contributors at the core of the football team. The duties of a North Penn football manager are more than carrying water bottles at Friday night games. In addition to running around and making sure every single teammate is hydrated, they are responsible for keeping the team and its coaches organized.

Teammate Justis Henley shared his opinion on the managers.

“Having managers on the team is one thing, but having two nice and always respectful females as managers are two different things. They never once complain about doing all the things they do for us, from getting us water all the time to preparing our uniforms for the games on Fridays. Alexa and Vic are two fantastic individuals, and they mean just as much to the team as the players.”

Just like the players, the managers are required to be at every practice and every game. As the team trains, Roetman and Steltz carry out the behind the scenes work.

“We’re at practice every day after school. Sometimes during the summer we’re here all through camp doing a lot of stuff. So we’re here for a majority of the year before and after the season just to get stuff ready and finish it up,” said Roetman.

Though the two were nervous about managing a predominantly male football team as females, they didn’t have much trouble gaining respect from the team. Once they established that they were ultimately around to improve the team, the players became aware of how much the managers did for them. This helped the managers forge strong relationships with most of the players.

“Some of the younger guys aren’t really used to it [female managers] so they kind of think that they can push us around, but all the seniors realize that we help them a lot and that they need us so they respect us,” said Steltz.

“At first when we got here it was kind of hard because most of the time we were kind of intimidated by the guys,” added Roetman. “So it was kind of hard to get them to do what we wanted… but as the season went on we got more used to it and the guys started to respect us.”

Roetman and Steltz pause to pose for a picture during Friday's football game
Mikaela Mosley
Roetman and Steltz pause to pose for a picture during Friday’s football game

Many could mistake the young ladies for water girls, but they are much more than that. They are the core of the football team. They help provide structure and order amongst the team members.

“We just make sure everything runs smoothly and I feel like without us it would just be chaotic and nothing would get done,” said Steltz.

“It’s still chaotic with us, but with us here it’s a lot easier for the coaches to focus on actually coaching,” commented Roetman. “It helps the team, and the team benefits from it.”

Indeed the football team benefits from many behind the scene contributors like Roetman and Steltz. Without their loyal support Friday “Knights” might not be so bright.