Throwback Thursday – Knights rally like its 1989

Accolade, 1989

Are those Bugle Boy Jeans you’re wearing? Today’s throwback picture takes us to end of the decade that was the 80s.

Steph Krane, Staff Writer

The year was 1989: a postage stamp cost 25 cents, a gallon of gas cost 97 cents, and Mr. Burton T. Hynes was one of North Penn High School’s assistant principals. In this week’s throwback Thursday, we celebrate the long, successful career of North Penn’s current head principal and future retiree with this picture from the fall of 1989.

Standing next to Hynes is student and cheerleader Kerry Shields, encouraging the student body to come out and support the school’s fall sports teams during a pep rally. Both Shields and Hynes sport the styles of the time period, some aspects fleeting, others timeless.

Following his stint as an assistant principal at the high school, Hynes became the principal at Penndale for five years before returning to the high school to become principal in 2003. While styles may have changed during Hynes’s long tenure in the district, some things, such as fall pep rallies and Hynes’s support for students, have remained part of the North Penn tradition.