Fluck exchanges sweat suit for dress suit

Mr. Jon Fluck named interim Activities Director at NPHS

North+Penn+High+School+Health%2FPR+teach+Jon+Fluck+settles+in+to+his+interim+role+as+Activities+Director+at+NPHS.+

Madison Wiernusz

North Penn High School Health/PR teach Jon Fluck settles in to his interim role as Activities Director at NPHS.

Madison Wiernusz, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Jonathon Fluck does not get rattled by change, so when he had to completely rewire his whole schedule to fit a new position, he had no trouble at all. After ten years of teaching, Fluck will now feel what’s it’s like to not have to be living from bell to bell at North Penn as he takes over the Activities Director position vacated when Mr. Bill Bartle was named the new Athletic Director.

Fluck has been involved with a number of activities and organizations at North Penn since he began teaching in 2005. Throughout the years, he’s chaperoned dances, attended a number of events, and took up the positions of co-adviser to the Class of 2016 and boys assistant track coach.
When the position opened up, he knew he wanted to go for it because it offered him a unique opportunity to get even more involved with the students.

“I get to oversee the number of clubs we have here. My job is to support them in any way needed: planning trips, organizing finances, getting more students involved, and arranging assemblies. [The job] is about letting students know what a great school we have,” said Fluck on the responsibilities of the position.

Fluck is happy with his new position, but is disappointed that he will no longer see students continuously throughout the day.
He strongly considered this fact when he was contemplating applying for the position because Fluck knew “that’s why I went into teaching. I wanted to be in the classroom and in the gym with the students constantly throughout the day. I was afraid that this would separate me from them.”

After being in the job for a few days, Fluck realized that it’ll be impossible for him to lose interaction with students because “I’m going to have a great interaction with all the Presidents and Vice Presidents and I think I’ll be out in the hallway constantly seeing students I’ve taught.”

This job is a terrific opportunity for Fluck, but he said it’s nothing compared to teaching. He’s going to miss witnessing students “exceed his expectations” all the time, but he’s looking forward to “having a positive influence on the students and growing clubs at North Penn.”

Fluck will fill the position on an interim basis until the end of the school year, at which point a decision will be made about the position going forward.