North Penn student Trevor Ciampoli to participate in torch-carrying run for PA Special Olympics

Trevor Ciampoli gears up test his endurance in this year’s Law Enforcement Officers Torch Run.

Tara Sorman, Executive Editor

TOWAMENCIN – Anyone who has been involved with the Special Olympics knows the tremendously positive impact of the program and the many opportunities it provides. As the Fall Festival and Seasonal Games of the PA State Special Olympics are set to begin next Friday on November 7th, North Penn High School student Trevor Ciampoli has been selected for the team and has been given the honor of carrying the ceremonial torch to kick off the games – a notable role in an event so widely known for the noble principles it strives to uphold. Ciampoli will be running 2.8 miles on the first leg of the Law Enforcement Officer Torch Run, during which he and the rest of the “A” team will run alongside police escorts from the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum to Belmont Plateau.

Ciampoli was selected by his Coach Scott Otterbein, who has been key along with the Montgomery County Long Distance Running Team in helping him to prepare for next Friday’s event. Ciampoli’s mother, Mrs. Tamara Ciampoli, has seen her son’s heavy involvement with the team and devotion to entering the event with full readiness.

“Trevor has been practicing regularly with his [team]; he goes to practices twice a week at Montgomery County Community College and Valley Forge Park. He has also participated in County, Regional, and State Special Olympics games for the past two years in long distance running and track and field events,” said Mrs. Ciampoli.

Her son also attested to the hard work required for the event, adding that the time he has invested over the past several weeks has gone into the endurance aspect of the run.

“I’m having the torch run on Friday, and I’ll be running the whole way. I’ve been training and attending practices for Special Olympics Montgomery County for weeks…I’ve been preparing real hard,” Trevor explained.

As Ciampoli, his teammates, and the accompanying officers take turns bearing the torch, or “Flame of Hope,” they will be doing much more than simply carrying out a ceremonial opening to the games. In addition, the run serves as a means to spread the mission of the Special Olympics, as well as to fund-raise for its cause – having raised a total of $500 million since its inception in 1981.

Naturally, those involved in the run are aware of the incredible honor it is to act as an emissary of hope and positivity and to be the first to celebrate the opening of the games, which are sure to be beneficial to so many.

“I’m excited that I was selected by my coach [to run on Friday]. It’s kind of like being in the Hall of Fame,” said Ciampoli. “And [my family has] been really supportive to me the whole way.”

Ciampoli’s family was indeed ecstatic upon learning of this opportunity and extremely proud of his accomplishment.

“My husband Steven and I are thrilled for this opportunity for Trevor,” said Tamara Campioli. “Special Olympics has given Trevor a new-found and increased pride, self-confidence, and sense of community. Being part of a larger network of athletes, parents, and volunteers has also improved the enjoyment and quality of life for us as a family as well. Trevor’s participation in Special Olympics has been a truly rewarding experience in every way!”

So as the festivities begin and the Flame of Hope travels toward its ultimate destination at Villanova University, the runners – in addition to their coaches, families, and fans – can be inspired by their admirable cause of spreading sportsmanship and acceptance through the Special Olympics program. Their hard work and achievement will surely be applauded by the countless supporters in attendance at the event, and North Penn is immensely proud that one among their ranks calls its hallways home.