Spanish department welcomes Señora Brittany Atkiss back to North Penn High School

HOLA%21-+Brittany+Atikss+is+the+newest+NPHS+faculty+member+as+she+joins+the+Spanish+Department.+

Taylor Young

HOLA!- Brittany Atikss is the newest NPHS faculty member as she joins the Spanish Department.

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN- North Penn High School recently welcomed Señora Brittany Atkiss to the Spanish Department, adding more passion for foreign languages to B-Pod. As a North Penn graduate of the Class of 2004, Atkiss is eager to return to her former high school to make a difference.

Since seventh grade, Atkiss was certain she would become a Spanish teacher. Her continual motivation was driven by her love for the class and desire to follow in her mother and aunt’s footsteps, as they, too, are educators.

In order to fulfill her dreams, Atkiss attended Penn State University and earned a degree in World Language Education, Spanish, and International Studies. Her influential education allowed her to begin her career teaching at a school in Bensalem Township School District. For six years, Atkiss had an impressive teaching experience.

“Before I came here [North Penn High School], I was teaching [Spanish] at a school in Bensalem for six years and I did a bunch of different levels there and I was their head soccer coach,” explained Atkiss.

In addition to teaching Spanish and coaching soccer, Atkiss taught ESL for a bit, which ultimately added to her knowledge and experience as a teacher.

However, Atkiss decided to leave Bensalem to continue her journey at North Penn. Compared to her adventure in high school, Atkiss will now be the one educating enthusiastic students. This year in Spanish, she hopes for her students to have fun in class with her. Atkiss wants her students to remember that it’s not too hard for one to have fun in Spanish and learn at the same time.

Although Atkiss is a teacher, nothing has stopped her from continuing to learn. She explained that the things she has learned since she first started teaching have mainly come from her students.

“I think every day the students teach me something,” explained Atkiss. “I’ve kind of learned to just roll with the punches. I feel like I’m constantly learning.”
While Atkiss is always learning from her students, she hopes they continue to learn more about the Spanish language. To her, it’s a beneficial language that is crucial in everyday life.

“Spanish is spoken so much in the United States nowadays that no matter what their job is they’re going to have to learn it in some way or another,” explained Atkiss. “And for travelling purposes, it’s such a good language to know.”

Besides sharing her passion for Spanish with her students, Atkiss aims to become involved with North Penn’s endless opportunities outside of the classroom. She noted that coaching a sport or being a part of activities in the future would be great.
Upon returning to North Penn High School, Atkiss is sure to make a difference in her students’ education. Her passion for the high school, experience and knowledge as a Spanish teacher, and drive to become involved contribute to her excellence that makes her a valuable addition to North Penn.