The Knitting Knights: Crafty students find a close-knit community in North Penn’s newest club

The Knitting Knights: Crafty students find a close-knit community in North Penns newest club

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

Hidden among North Penn’s sports players, artists, scholars, and other club members are an unlikely group: knitters. Given an outlet for their unconventional passion through North Penn’s Knitting Club, these crafty students enthusiastically bring their needles and yarn along as they attend the school’s newest club. Started just this 2014-2015 school year, many students were eager to find a Knitting Club signup sheet at the Activities Fair on September 16th.

“If you need a meditative thing at the end of the day to calm yourself, then this is the club for you,” said Mrs. Schecter, one of the advisors. Knitting is a craft that involves patience, time, and creativity. With a set of needles and yarn, anything is possible.

“When you make your own things, it’s gratifying, and when you make something and give it away, it’s very gratifying,” said Mrs. Schecter. The Knitting Club is a new club at North Penn High School started by senior Liting Zou with Mrs. Schecter, an ESL Teacher, and Mrs. Vogel, a librarian, as the advisors. Meeting every Thursday after school in the IMC, the advisors and members are excited to take out their needles and yarn to start making garments.

“I took my first knitting class about three years ago, and I used to go to The Lambs Wool Shop in Lansdale,” said Vogel. “They had knitting class so I used to go there every Tuesday evening for about two years, but they just closed.” Now passing on her knowledge to young student knitters, Vogel is excited to share this experience with Mrs. Schecter.

“We’ve always talked about knitting,” said Vogel. “At first we thought it would be the grownups, but then a student overheard Mrs. Schecter and I talking about a knitting club and said that she would be interested in starting one.”

Although many people may think knitting is outdated, this craft is making its way back. More and more people have been spotted knitting. With new templates on how to make Hunger Games and Catching Fire garments, knitting is an unexpected new trend which seems likely to find new enthusiasts in the future.

“I learned [to knit] from my grandmother when I was young; I can’t remember how young,” said Schecter. “I recently got back into it, and it’s been five years now [having been] self-taught. I just remember what she taught me and went back to the books and taught myself.”

Anything is possible when one sets his mind to it. Whether they are envisioning a new club or knitting a handmade creation, the Knitting Club is the epitome of North Penn Clubs, taking advantage of every opportunity at North Penn.