Alumni return home for Homecoming festivities

Kee Min

North Penn assistant principal Pete Nicholson, Class of 2015 Homecoming King Chase Childs, and assistant principals Mary Scott and Stefan Muller pose for a picture after Friday night’s Homecoming football game

Kee Min, Staff Writer

With the energetic football game and the crowning of king and queen, homecoming is one of the most celebrated events in high school. However, one thing that is often overlooked is the alumnus coming back.

This weekend, many former NPSD members were gleefully greeted by the newly-created Alumni Association.

“The Alumni Association is very new and we would like to make this not ‘welcome back,’ but ‘welcome home,’” commented Kaity Andrey.

Andrey, a graduate from the Class of 2010, is the Alumni Association coordinator who has been working for the district for about six months.

“We are an association that is underneath the North Penn Educational Foundation, a non-profit [organization] for North Penn [community]. The Alumni Association is a place for our alumnus can come home to. We have charity events for the foundation, but it is more of a gathering place. This is our third year at the homecoming game, and we are just trying to gain some reputation and have more alumni to North Penn events and fall in to a place, rather than being spread out.”

Former North Penn High School principal Burton T. Hynes also stressed the importance of the Alumni Association.

“The alumni are very important,” stated Hynes. “Once you’re part of North Penn, you’re always a part of North Penn. That’s why the Alumni Association is there to promulgate that feeling of school spirit to the rest of everyone’s life!”

Hynes, who garnered the biggest reaction by far, was over the moon about the support from the student section.
“I’m absolutely thrilled,” Hynes said in awe. “I didn’t expect it, especially the BTH chant. It makes you feel welcome to come and [see] students showing enthusiasm to see you. It feels like I never left. I walk in here and it just feels like home. It doesn’t feel like I’ve been away for a month already. I’m just happy to here. We have a great student section.”

Last year’s homecoming king, Chase Childs, also made an appearance in support of this year’s homecoming court.

“Homecoming is always a time for graduates from previous years,” stated Childs. “It’s time for previous homecoming king and queen to come back and relive the memories. There are lots of school spirits around it. Positive, upbeat school spirit for everyone.”