Ten student-athletes ink letters of intent

10+NPHS+student+athletes+signed+their+letters+of+intent+to+play+collegiate+athletics+beginning+in+the+fall+of+2016.+

Image courtesy of npsd.phanfare.com

10 NPHS student athletes signed their letters of intent to play collegiate athletics beginning in the fall of 2016.

Eric Beideman, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – For the ten North Penn student athletes who signed their letter of intent today, it was a day of opportunity – not only to further their athletic careers, but also to use athletics as a means to achieve higher education.

For Marie Yacopino (diving,SDSU), Jenn Delongis (field hockey, Lafayette), Chloe Novak (lacrosse, Monmouth), Michelle Dyck (lacrosse, ESU), Aimee Bauer (water polo/swimming, St. Francis), Erin O’neil (water polo/swimming, St. Francis), Kadar Namey (baseball, St. Joe’s), Mason Nadeau (baseball, PSU), Jovana Alfonsi (softball, Philadelphia U.), and Phoebe Clowser (track/cross country, Illinois State) their dream of playing their respective sports at the collegiate level was finally fully realised.

While the athletic element is very important for the signees, as Mason Nadeau pointed out, it comes second to the education it will afford them. Nadeau added that he is “looking forward to the world class education (he) will receive at Penn State.”

An elated Chloe Novak took the opportunity to thank all of the people who helped her make her dream come true.

“First and foremost I want to thank (Lafayette signee) Jenn Delongis for pushing me (working out), and I’d also like to thank Jimmy Ward and Sarah Zollars shaping me into the athlete I have become” Novak said.

She went on to thank the most important people of all, saying “I’d also like to thank my parents for everything that they did for me, and getting me to this point.”

Signing is a big relief for most students. Phoebe Clowser described the event as “a big relief.” “I don’t have to worry about this part anymore, so now I can just focus on running and school” added Clowser, the Illinois State commit.

While most of the signees expressed a feeling of relief that their college process was out of the way, Jovana Alfonsi, a PreMed student, was quick to point out that the work is not over.

“I still have to keep my grades up and maintain a good GPA because I am going PreMed and (Philly U.) will keep checking on my grades.”Alfonsi said. “and once I get there, academics come first.”

Collegiate athletes have an extra burden put on them, having to delicately balance academics with athletics. Kadar Namey (SJU baseball) talked about a program that St. Joe’s has to help student athletes achieve academic excellence.

“St. Joe’s has a great program for the student athletes where they have a set number of mandatory study halls and the coaches are checking up on your grades all the time,” Namey said. “That’s one of the reasons I chose the school.”

“This is the entire goal of high school athletics, we have always stated, is that athletics are a means to an education and that’s exactly what these kids have achieved and earned,” said first year athletic director Bill Bartle.

“This is one of the most proud moments for athletic directors and coaches,” Bartle added. “To see the years of hard work and sacrifice pay off in the end, it’s satisfying.”