Are SAT’s and ACT’s really necessary?

Are SATs and ACTs really necessary?

Nina Raman, Staff Writer

The amount of nerves going through a student’s mind the night before a test is insane. Consider a student’s nerves the night before taking a test that could define their whole future. A student’s performance on the SAT’s and ACT’s determine his or her acceptances into certain colleges and universities, ultimately, affecting their opportunities.

The problem with standardized testing is that every student has different strengths and weaknesses. Not every student is a good test taker. Some students perform well in specific subjects that they aren’t even tested on. The SAT’s and ACT’s are key tests in the average high school student’s life, but wouldn’t it be great if you didn’t have to take them? What if you could test in a specific area in which you want to study, or present a project retaining to your future field? France seems to have it figured out, but why don’t we?

In France and other European countries, students in lycée (high school) take a different kind of standardized test called le Baccalauréat, or le bac. Instead of every student testing in the same math, English, and science subjects, students can select which specific subject area they can be examined on. Universities can select the students depending on their performance in that field, as their preferred test will be their major in college. Students can take le bac in virtually any field, from chemistry to skiing. French students are offered more opportunities than the average American high school student simply because they are allowed to test in their strengths rather than their weaknesses.

Based on different majors, French students are expected to complete their test and/or presentation retaining to their field of study. This accommodates the students strengths even more because some people don’t test well, but give better presentations orally. According to American Test Anxieties Association, about 16%-20% of students have high test anxiety. This affects their ability to remember material, causing them to “blank” or “freeze” while testing. Another 18% of students have moderate test anxiety, causing their scores to drop half of a letter grade. If about 34%-38% of students suffer from intense test anxiety, students should have another option to score points. Why should they be penalized for being nervous?

So what happens if the U.S. transfers over to the French way? All student will have the same ability to succeed, and not only will it benefit students, but also teachers. Once the student presents themselves, the teachers are able to learn something about the student: how they learn. It is a crucial part of any student’s education to establish a learning style, so they can flourish in the college lifestyle. There is a huge transition from the high school life to a university life, so why not make the process easier? Taking specific subject area tests won’t make school easier, but it should help establish how you learn, what you want to learn, and what you should work on.

Applying to colleges is most challenging for students entering with an undecided major. What do we do about that? What test do they take? The answer is simple; students who aren’t sure which field they want to study should take a general test like the SAT’s or ACT’s to test your strengths and weaknesses to help you decide. Based on each student’s results, they can adjudicate which field they are interested in, guiding them to a more successful career.

There’s a similar situation with students who decide to switch their majors in the middle of their college career. What should they do? Students who think they’ll succeed in another area should retest in the new area they desire. For example, if an english major wishes to change to a biology major, the student should take the biology subject area test to determine whether it’s worth the switch. This will confirm to the school that the student is adequate and well-informed to enroll in the major that he or she pleases. This will also ensure that the student will perform well in his or her future career, which is a nice reassurance.

So the big question is: why haven’t we switched to Baccalauréat testing? It seems like it would aid students in their further education, so why is the U.S. stressing the average American teenager out over preparing to study for your weakest subjects? It’s time the U.S. stopped punishing students with poor scores on SAT’s and ACT’s, and started helping them succeed in their future careers.