Fifty year flashback: 1983 and big hair

Image Courtesy of Accolade 1983

The Decade of Big Hair – The Cosmetology Program at North Montco Tech School offers students experience in many things, including hairstyling, as seen in this 1983 Accolade photo.

Taylor Wooley, Staff Writer

Hair. Yes, hair is one of the hallmarks of the styles and trends of each passing decade. And the cosmetology program at North Montco Technical School is a good place to trace those trends.

Whether learning how to perm hair, or conduct electricity, the students attending the North Montco Area Vocational-Technical school, learn skills of the various trades each student is interested in learning, and using as their future career.

The North Montco Area Vocational-Technical school was designed to enhance the knowledge of those students attending it for various trades. Students are required to take school subjects as well as attending North Montco. The numerous fields include a two year program of health assistants, areas involved in architecture, electronics, cosmetology, baking/food, preparations and service, graphic arts, masonry, areas involved with metals, automotive trades, and auto body repairs.

One of the more popular of the trades, cosmetology, is still a popular choice today. Although the styles have changed drastically from the 80’s to now, the cosmetology class is still more popular than ever. Current cosmetology student, Taylor Goodman sees great value in her experiences in the program.

“We do a lot of different things. We do hair cutting, hair coloring, up-dos, and braiding. Aside from hair, we also do things with nails, makeup, and facials. We like to try different techniques for all of these things as well,” Goodman said.

At North Montco Area Vocational- Technical School, students at North Penn have an opportunity to get a head start, to enhance their skill now, but for the rest of their lives as well. Today, the school is still in progress, making young men and women into, skilled workers with a future in their trade. It’s a way to help students with a passion to learn first hand through hands on activities. No only do the students learn, but they also get to make friends and get to experience a lesson that they’ll use for the rest of their lives.