NPHS student hosts 5th annual movie night to benefit childhood cancer

Taylor Young

Hannah Gardner, junior at NPHS and founder of Hannah’s Hope Jar, pictured with a poster that states facts regarding childhood cancer.

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

LANSDALE- This past Saturday night, Hannah Gardner, a junior at NPHS and founder of Hannah’s Hope Jar, hosted her 5th annual movie night in her front lawn to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer.

Starting around 6pm, family members, friends, neighbors, and community members began arriving for an activity-filled night. With music playing in the background, guests could buy tickets for an assortment of raffle baskets, create cards for children in the hospital, purchase food, drinks, and snacks, participate in a variety of outdoor games, and get their faces painted. When it started to get dark, guests set up their lawn chairs and blankets to watch the movie “Big Hero Six.”

Halfway through the movie Gardner announced the winners of the raffle baskets and the “Guess How Many” contest, which consisted of guests guessing the amount of candy corn in a jar for a prize. Additionally, Gardner gave a speech explaining Hannah’s Hope Jar and what childhood cancer means to her.

Gardner was overjoyed to announce the outcome of the movie, which proved to be the most successful one yet.

“The outcome of the movie night was great,” explained Gardner. “We had around 90 people attend, which is a great turnout. We had beautiful weather and a beautiful night. I know for a fact we raised over $1,700 and [received] over 50 canned good and toiletry donations. We still have some last minute donations that we have to factor in, so that’s great. Each year we raise more and more all in one night in my front yard.”

A group of volunteers from the movie night. From left: Natalie Clauser, Brittny Pham, Kayla Harnett, Hailey Czerpak, Hannah Gardner, Victoria Braeunle, Haley Lohan, Leah Corrado, and Allie Graff.
Taylor Young

Gardner also explained that the success of her movie night is attributed to her diligent preparation, organization, and help from volunteers. Her movie night is always help a couple weeks into September, so she begins planning in the beginning of the summer. By making flyers, emailing people, and putting an event on Facebook, Gardner ensures that she gets the word out. Additionally, Gardner is equipped with 10-15 volunteers, who are some of her closest friends, who begin arriving at 3pm to help set up and stay after the event to help with clean up.

Brittny Pham, a junior at NPHS and volunteer at Gardner’s movie night, explained why the movie night is so important.

“I think it’s meaningful, because it not only helps kids with cancer, but also gives an inspiration to kids around the community saying that they can do stuff themselves,” said Pham. “I think it sets a really good example for people in the community and also helps kids with cancer.”

Reflecting on the most rewarding part of her movie night, Gardner explained that it proves to be visiting the hospitals.

“The most rewarding part from my movie night is when I visit the hospital [to see] the kids’ faces when they get a gift or the parts when they thank me for refilling the toiletries,” All I want to do really is help the kids and the families. The greatest thing is to actually meet them, and the social workers are so happy every time I come. Just the fact that I get to help out people who are struggling with this horrible disease is very rewarding.”

Allie Graff, sophomore at NPHS, pictured with the childhood cancer sign that she created for Hannah Gardner’s movie night.
Taylor Young

Over the years, Gardner has learned that organization is key to a successful movie night. Additionally, she explained that she has realized how much people want to support her foundation. Gardner said that when she explains the purpose of her movie night to someone, they find it hard to believe that someone her age is doing this type of charity work.

In fact, Gardner started Hannah’s Hope Jar when she was 11 years old and began fundraising in 7th grade. Besides her movie night, Gardner has hosted mini-fundraisers at her family business Bounce-U and lemonade or hot chocolate stands to raise funds. With the money she raises, Gardner visits children in St. Christopher’s and CHOP hospitals to fulfill their wish lists around Christmas time and restocks the pantry and toiletries, which is for families who may be struggling to pay their bills.