Navy Jazz Band to headline at the Bethlehem Steelstacks

Josh+Weckerly+performs+a+solo+at+Moravian+College+while+director+David+DiValentino+keeps+lead+of+the+band.+

Clara Boyden

Josh Weckerly performs a solo at Moravian College while director David DiValentino keeps lead of the band.

Abby Mohr, Staff Writer

North Penn’s music program has never been one to disappoint, and the Navy Jazz Band has upheld that tradition. Competing in the preliminary rounds of the Steelstacks High School Jazz Band Showcase throughout February under the direction of Mr. David DiValentino, the band qualified to compete in the finals on March 15th. This weekend it was announced that they not only won the 2015 competition, but they also had been invited to open for the esteemed Dirty Dozen Brass Band on May 15th at the Bethlehem Steelstacks.

Competing against thirteen high school bands, with the top six advancing to the finals, the Navy Band put on a fantastic performance, earning them not only the top spot in the competition, but additional awards for best reed section and best trumpet section.

Though this is the first time the band has competed in such a competition in which places of first, second, and third are determined, they have had continuous success throughout their performance season, receiving ratings of either outstanding or superior at every competition. The ensemble has received numerous additional awards for best rhythm, saxophone, trumpet, and trombone sections, demonstrating the entire band’s talent.

“It was a lot of fun. It’s a great venue and Dr. Wetzel from Moravian College, who runs the program, has made it an awesome experience,” noted Josh Weckerly, a member of the trumpet section, speaking about the Steelstacks competition process.

The band will continue their rigorous rehearsal and competition schedule in preparation for their May 15th performance, and this past Monday participated in North Penn’s annual “Knight of Jazz.” With an impressive list of achievements already under their belt, the Navy Jazz Band is sure to find success throughout the rest of their season.