Throwback Thursday: taking a look at the International Friendship Program’s history

(Supervising Principal of the North Penn Jointure) Dr. King welcomes the exchange students on their arrival to North Penn

Susan Thomas, Staff Writer

A Welcoming Spirit: NPHS exchange program and the International Friendship Program stretches as far back to 1965.

NPHS is known for some of its once in a lifetime opportunities for students. Among these opportunities is a chance to leave high school and study abroad. It turns out this experience was offered to students at NPHS as far back as 1965.

At the time, NPHS International Friendship program was the main function from the School Affiliation Committee, led by Ken Weir. The program, along with its 35 students, negotiated with the American Friend’s Service Committee in hopes of finding pen pals abroad, finding willing exchange students to join NPHS, and staying in touch with NPHS sister school in Germany, Kranich-Gymnasium Salzgitter-Lebenstedt. The School Affliation Committee was eager to extend the exchange program to various countries so that “the student body of North Penn will be a better informed and more understanding body.”