For Edwards, teaching a natural fit

Getting comfortable at NPHS - Miss Lindsey Edwards joined the NPHS staff this September.

Getting comfortable at NPHS – Miss Lindsey Edwards joined the NPHS staff this September.

Marykate Owsiany, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Ever since she was a little girl, she aspired to be a teacher. She has always had a passion for teaching and helping others, and her love for English and reading directed her toward the career she always wanted. Meet Miss Lindsey Edwards, the newest addition to the North Penn Special Education Department.

Throughout high school, Miss Edwards tutored students and worked in a daycare to pursue her interest in working with children in a classroom environment. She also participated in Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, a nonprofit organization comprised of volunteers like Edwards who help children reach their full potential through one-on-one mentoring.

Edwards’ opportunities in high school to help students confirmed her passion for teaching and led her in the right direction to pursue her career.

“[I] realized how much I truly loved helping students,” said Edwards of her positive high school experiences.

Edwards went on to attend Bloomsburg University for her undergraduate degree, followed by Cabrini College for graduate school. This educational background led her to begin her own endeavors in the teaching world, as she was hired shortly afterward by the School District of Philadelphia.

Edwards worked at Murrell Dobbins CTE for one year, teaching tenth through twelfth grade, before moving on to Spruance Elementary School, where she taught fifth and sixth grade for four years. Now, she has joined the North Penn family as a Special Ed English teacher.

“My experience at North Penn has been amazing so far,” said Edwards enthusiastically. “I have been surrounded by caring and kind co-workers who have bent over backwards to help me every step of the way.”

The Special Ed department is more than happy to work with Edwards and the three other new teachers who have joined the department this year.

“As more students attend NPHS, Miss Edwards is a fantastic addition to the department,” commented Mrs. Megan Schoppe, the department chair of special education.

“I have always had a passion for teaching and truly believe that this is the best profession in the world,” said Edwards. Her boundless enthusiasm regarding teaching is not only a positive aspect of her personality, but a trait required in being a great teacher.

Edwards values a strong, mutual teacher-student connection. She raves about her wonderful students: “[I have] fabulous students who have already taught me more as an educator than I could ever have imagined,” said Edwards.

One of the reasons Edwards loves teaching English in particular is that every day is so different from the last, and she is able to make the subject appealing for her students through her resourcefulness and ingenuity. Edwards’ creativity is not limited to her abilities as a teacher, however: outside of school, she spends her time honing her culinary skills.

“I somewhat blame it on Pinterest since the recipes always look enticing to make, but I realized I am not so bad at creating things on my own!” said Edwards. Her other hobbies include scrapbooking, interior designing, and, of course, reading. As an avid bookworm, Edwards is always on the lookout for new titles to add to her repertoire – and always appreciates recommendations!

Edwards’ penchant for creative thinking both in and out of the classroom allows her to make every student’s experience unique, in addition to making her favorite dishes, artsy scrapbooks and skillful interior arrangements.

Now that she has begun the next chapter of her life at North Penn, Edwards feels very fortunate to be doing what she loves and to have been able to pursue the career of which she always dreamed.

“I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of the year has to bring!”