Marching Knights host annual Knight of Sound

Photo submitted by Ed Yeh

The North Penn Marching Knights present their 2015 fall show, “The Calling”, to the community during their annual Knight of Sound.

Madison Wiernusz, Editor in Chief

TOWAMENCIN – This past Saturday evening, the sound of music filled North Penn’s own Crawford Stadium as the North Penn Marching Knights hosted their annual “Knight of Sound”.

Parents, friends, family, and North Penn music alumni filed into the home stands of Crawford Stadium to watch eight of the best marching bands from around the region present their 2015 fall shows.

Bands traveled from as far the Poconos and as local as Souderton to compete in this independent competition. Competing schools included Springford Area High School, Henderson High School, Souderton Area High School, Pleasant Valley High School, Daniel Boone High School, Rustin High School, Quakertown High School, and Central Bucks South High School.

The shows varied in theme from Daniel Boone High School’s Ides of March, featuring the rise and fall of Julius Caesar, to Quakertown High School’s Through the Ages, featuring the ideas of the Ice Age, Dark Age, Enlightenment, and the modern era.

Overall, the division champions were Springford Area High School, Henderson High School, Quakertown High School and Daniel Boone High School. On top of that, Quakertown High School and Central Bucks South High School also each took home several caption awards for music, color guard, and overall effect.

Even though the Marching Knights were unable to compete, they performed in exhibition. This was the first opportunity for the Knights to present their own fall show to the community. Their show is entitled “The Calling”, and it features Joan of Arc’s supposed call to come lead the French to freedom.

At the end of their performance, the stadium erupted with applause and cheers, for the Marching Knights received a standing ovation from the crowd, including the other bands.

“[Performing at home] is a rush of adrenaline that you can’t really explain,” commented Marching Knight senior and color guard co-captain, Kimmie Di Nhong, “There’s nothing else quite like that.”

After awards, as their final “Knight of Sound” drew to a close, the seniors of the North Penn marching band found themselves reminiscing about their time as a Marching Knight.

“It was very cool to have such a strong performance for my last Knight of Sound,” said Kevin Smith, a Marching Knight senior and baritone section leader, “I had an amazing time marching with my friends, and those are the memories that I will never forget.”

Even though it was the final home show for some, it’s only the beginning of the 2015 season for the North Penn Marching Knights. The Knights are set to compete next on October 3rd at Central Bucks South High School.