Fashion Show spotlights student designers’ creativity on the catwalk

Models line up for their final applause at North Penn High Schools annual fashion show, this year entitled Visions in Black and White.

Models line up for their final applause at North Penn High School’s annual fashion show, this year entitled “Visions in Black and White.”

Molly Dooling, Staff Writer

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street; fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” –Coco Channel

When the word fashion comes to the mind of a NPHS student, they might think of the Fashion Department here at the high school. The department offers beginner and advanced classes where students are able to design and model their own work. Taught by Mrs. Joelle Townsend and Mrs. Diane Galaton, the class allows students to sew their own clothes in the beginning of the year in the hopes of modeling them at the yearly Fashion Show.

The show took place last Wednesday in the auditorium during third period and had hundreds of NP students and teachers in attendance. The theme of the show was “Visions in Black and White,” with inspiration from the Madonna song “Vogue. Each student who walked in the show wore an outfit that included black, white, or both. However, they were allowed to have a pop of color anywhere in their outfit. Some chose brightly colored shoes or a vibrant belt.

The show kicked off with members of the Dance Team skipping down the aisles of the auditorium to the stage and performing to a remix of Madonna’s “Vogue.” Afterward, the career study students in the fashion department entered the stage. Seniors Josh Bower and Jackie Dale informed the audience on what type of fashions they would be seeing, and with that the designers started the show.

Each student walked in the show, proceeding from the sides of the stage to the front, then down the stairs of the stage to the middle of the floor to model their work in front of the audience with the bright stage lights shining down on them. The designers filed in one after another, with up to three walking at a time. To accompany the models, a mix of music was played while a slide show of black and white fashion was played on the stage behind them.

After all the designs were shown, the career study students came onstage once again to thank all those who put the show together. They then gave Mrs. Townsend and Mrs. Galaton flowers and a thank you gift for advising the department, ending the show.

Jackie Dale, one of the career study students in the Fashion Department, had a pivotal role in designing the show and making sure everything ran smoothly.

“The most challenging part is having to remember everything I have to do. You can’t forget a single thing or else you’ll have an incomplete show,” she said. However, Dale felt it was very rewarding to see it all come together and enjoys her time designing clothes.

“My favorite part, having gone through the beginner and advanced classes, is really getting to know both teachers, because it’s a major class, and you see them every day. Also making new friends that have the same interest in fashion that you do.”

The fashion classes at North Penn High School are open to all students, and all in the program hope that each year’s fashion show inspires more and more future designers to get involved.