“A dinner and a show”: North Penn’s CMT class gives lunches a listen to what they do best

Students in CMT perform in the senior cafe in front of students.

Molly Dooling, Staff Writer

While walking down the hallway towards the senior café last Monday, all one could hear were the loud beat of the base guitar and the angelic voice of the singer performing in front of a large crowd. The closer one walked, the more you could make out that the music being played was coming from CMT, a performance class offered at NPHS. The students in the class were having a live concert right in the senior café, and everyone was intently watching.

Comprehensive Music Technology is a class offered at NPHS for any student who wants to perfect their musical talents and practice performing in front of an audience. To take the class, however, students must have previously taken a music course or have some type of musical background. Singers and all types of musicians are welcomed to take the class.

The class performed for all lunch periods and played a wide variety of music. From classics to new song covers, the students sang and played multiple instruments. One singer, in particular, performed a song that left the crowd clapping uncontrollably and cheering for more.

Senior and singer Melissa Fuhr teamed up with Alec Zarenkiewicz on the drums, Jonathan Hatton on the piano and Alyssa Almedia on the bass to perform a rendition of the pop song, All About That Bass by Meghan Trainer. The song sounded completely different from its original state, but Fuhr and the musicians still made it sound like the song came right off the radio.

“I chose the song due to the style! I thought the original song was really fun but wasn’t really the right style for me. When I found Postmodern Jukebox’s cover, I knew that the style would be a good choice for my voice.”

Each concert was a huge success, and all that watched seemed to really enjoy the live entertainment that was being put on. Victoria Horrell, a senior who was listening to the music, even said, “Wow, I wish we had something like this every day at lunch!” Another student commented, “It’s almost like dinner and a show!”

Fuhr recommends this class to all musicians who want to expand their knowledge of music. The group performs at multiple concerts throughout the year to huge audiences. Talk to Mr. Tumolo, the class’s teacher, for more information on the class and what the course entails.