Deck the halls with…strings of lightbulbs? North Penn SGA continues holiday light tradition

North Penn senior SGA members Maura McPeak and Emma Kopcho hang one of many strands of paper lightbulbs containing the names of every NP student and staff member.

Molly Dooling, Staff Writer

A time when North Penn students aren’t on their phones and are smiling while walking through the hallways? Something like that actually exists in this world?

Well, for half the month of December it does – and it’s all thanks to the hard work of the North Penn Student Government Association hanging the famed holiday light bulbs all over the school.

Since the early 90s, this tradition has been going strong, and every year it’s still as popular as the year before. Wondering about the way it works? The members of SGA Senate are assigned a group of NP student or faculty names and write each name on a drawn light bulb. The bulbs are then cut out, hole punched twice at the top, and sent back to the SGA cabinet.

Once all the light bulbs were finished, the SGA senate stayed after school this past Friday to hang the cheerful, holiday crafts all over the hallways of NP – in A pod, B pod, C pod, D pod, and E pod to be exact.

After 2 hours, the light bulbs were hung along the walls with care, in hopes that those of North Penn would spot their names up there.

Hung with string along the top of the inside walls, the light bulbs also come in all different colors. From pink to blue, or green to red, there is sure to be your favorite color hanging along the walls of the school.

The light bulbs do, however, need to be taken down by the last day of school before break. If not, it’s bye-bye light bulb, see you next holiday season. December 23rd after school, the SGA senate takes every light bulb down, awaiting the arduous task until next year.

Senior and SGA President Robert Gaibler was the commander-in-chief throughout the whole project. He oversaw every detail to make sure each student or faculty member of North Penn had a light bulb with their name on it. Gaibler was all smiles as he hung the light bulbs, and he feels that hanging the little crafts is a great thing for North Penn.

“It is extremely difficult in a school the size of North Penn to get everyone involved. Hanging the light bulbs tackles this issue directly because it allows everyone in the North Penn community to have a place and to be recognized.”

Needless to say, the yearly tradition of hanging these light bulbs makes everyone of North Penn smile, and it is clear that the hard work of the SGA is truly appreciated. It adds a sense of excitement and spirit in during each holiday, and our school wouldn’t be the same without it.