Bilotti, Battavio combine to shutout Bucks

Kee Min, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Behind strong pitching by Jackie Bilotti and Bri Battavio, the North Penn Maidens softball team defeated Central Bucks West 10-0 in six innings on a warm Monday afternoon.

Despite scoring 10 runs, offense was not the focal point of the game. In contrast to North Penn’s pitching staff, which allowed one free ride the entire game, CB West gave up 12 walks and a HBP to dig themselves in a hole.

“I told them to be aggressive,” commented coach Torresani, “but I didn’t want them flailing at everything. The girls stayed patient and we were able to get some clutch hits.”

After working four straight walks in the second, back-to-back RBI singles put the Maidens in the dominant position. Putting up five more runs in third inning allowed Torresani to give his ace a break and see another young pitcher on the rise.

Battavio, a sophomore who packs a serious heat, took the mound for the first time this season in the fifth inning, and was very effective, striking out two in two innings while not allowing a hit.

“I know Bri can do it,” stated Bilotti. “She is a very talented pitcher and she can definitely take over.”

However, Bilotti was the star of the show, as she struck out seven batters in four innings to go along with her 3-3, 2 RBI performance in the batter’s box, showing off her all-around skill.

In the absence of hot hitting Nicole Yanni [recovering from a concussion], other stepped up. The likes of Sydney Lear, Katie Beer, and Hannah Uhler stepped up and delivered. The trio, headlined by Beer’s 2-2, 2 RBI game, did their best to replace the cleanup hitter

“Obviously Nicole is a big part of the team,” commented Beer, “but our whole team stepped up today and we delivered.”

The Maidens (5-1; 2-1) next take on the Pennridge Rams Wednesday at home.