Yacopino leads divers as Maidens make splash in districts

RECORD+SETTER%3A+North+Penn+High+School+junior+Marie+Yacopino+dives+at+the+2015+district+diving+meet+on+Monday%2C+February+23%2C+2015.+Yacopino+leads+a+trio+of+Maidens+headed+to+states.+

Kristin Tanis, for the Knight Crier

RECORD SETTER: North Penn High School junior Marie Yacopino dives at the 2015 district diving meet on Monday, February 23, 2015. Yacopino leads a trio of Maidens headed to states.

Evan Hayes, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – The District One Girl’s Diving Championship took place Monday night, with three members of the North Penn Girl’s Diving team competing. Freshman Rachel Fisher, Junior Marie Yacopino, and Senior Madison Tanis were the three Maidens competing for a spot in the state championship.

In eleven dives, Fisher captured eight place, Tanis recieved fifth place, and Yacopino won first place. The trio passed through the first round of cuts, that brought the field to thirty-two. They also passed through the second round of cuts, Yacopino leading the way as the field was cut to twenty.

After eight dives, the order of the remaining sixteen divers was ordered from last to first, with the three North Penn divers already in the top eight. All three maintained their position, ultimately securing a trip to state competition. Fisher finished with a score of 407.05, Tanis scored a 450.25, and Yacopinio finished with a 512.50, which was a new pool, team, and district championship record.

This will be Tanis’s last competition as a North Penn diver, and the senior captain is excited about having two of her teammates making the trip with her, and thinks they have a chance of being very successful.

“It will be fun going to states with two other divers because I have only ever gone with Marie before,” said Tanis, with her arms around her teammates. I think it will be more fun, and we have a chance to do very well.”

The Maidens will travel to the state competition next, which takes place from March 11th to March 14th at Bucknell University.