North Penn to honor Doc Ryan with January 9th ceremony

Evan Hayes, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – A living legend at North Penn is retiring, and the rest of the school would like to thank him for his years of dedication. Athletic Director Donald “Doc” Ryan is retiring this January after 46 years at North Penn, 33 as athletic director, and the school will be honoring him between basketball games on January 9th, 2015.

“Originally there was supposed to be a boys’ home basketball game, but the girls’ coach said, ‘Oh, I want to be here for his last day,’ so Mr. Huston and I decided to make it a double header,” said assistant athletic director, Mrs. Melanie Seeders. “The girls varsity team will play at 5pm, then we will do our tribute in between, and the boys will play at 7:30pm.”

The tribute will be open to all members of the community, with tickets being sold at the door, for $5, and pre-sold to students during the days preceding, for $3.. There will be a few speakers, but the tribute is for all of Ryan’s students to give their congratulations and final goodbyes.

“I have been working closely with Mr. Ryan for the last fourteen years, and the work he does is hard to even put on paper. Some athletes may not even know he exists, but he is working for that athlete, whether they know it or not.,” said Seeders. “It’s not always just about the X’s and O’s, but also about instilling responsibility and camaraderie in players.”

“He’s very humble, and always caring for his players and coaches. He’s such a wonderful friend, mentor, and embassador of North Penn, and I will miss him greatly,” Seeders reflected.

Be sure to come out to the Girl’s basketball game on January 9th, 2015, and help to honor Mr. Doc Ryan, a true icon in North Penn history.

WHAT – – DONALD C. “DOC” RYAN TRIBUTE

WHEN – – FRIDAY, JANUARY 9th, 2015 – Following 5:00pm girls basketball game

WHERE – – North Penn High School Gymnasium

WHO: All are welcome with purchase of ticket. Tickets available at the door.