Siena reminds us, “No-body is perfect”

Siena Catanzaro, Staff Writer

Dear Knights,

Artists on the radio are singing all about people’s butts.
From “Wiggle” to “Anaconda” to “All About that Base,” the radio is filled with songs promoting the “Big Booty” Era. Stars like Jennifer Lopez, Nicki Minaj, and Iggy Azalea are major icons supporting this.

Girls do not want to be skinny and have that thigh gap anymore, now they want a big butt and a tiny waist. Teenage girls are looking up to their favorite actresses and singers and trying to embody their image. And now all girls want is the “Big Booty” they keep hearing about on the radio.

2014 is the start of the “Big Booty” Era.

Whether we realize it or not, media dramatically influences our lives. We idolize celebrities and their clothes, hair, makeup and body image. We want to look like them because we feel that if we do, someday we’ll become famous too.

Our teenage years are the most insecure years of our lives. Teenagers are the most insecure age groups, so following after celebrities gives us comfort and reassures our decisions. Weight is the biggest insecurity.

As toddlers, girls idolized Barbie and wanted to look just like her, which is funny because research shows that it is not physically possible to have Barbie’s negative waist measurements. Anyway, we carried her image throughout elementary school, middle school and now high school. Icons like Jennifer Lopez, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea and others are trying to change our mind set.

Looking up to these stars that embody the “Big Booty” Era show us that it is acceptable to have that cookie corner cookie, or fries with that burger because then we’ll look like these stars.

Like Hannah Montana used to say, “nobody’s perfect,” no matter how hard someone tries to become a size zero or a small, perfection is not based off of a size or a number.

Remember, perfection is someone’s opinion. Living your life by someone’s opinion is stupid when only your opinion matters.

Sincerely,
Siena