Flu shots: know the facts about influenza

Susan Thomas, Staff Writer

NPHS’ students have a lot going on for themselves this year. Between musical auditions, sport tryouts, dances, midterms, and other big events students won’t want to be getting sick this flu season.

The Influenza virus is referred to as the ‘flu.’ Normally, this virus spreads between the months of October and May. The flu shot’s purpose is to help to stop the spread of the influenza virus to individuals around you. Today, there are numerous pharmacies that offer flu shots, including Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid etc. However, if you are under the age of 18 you must go to a clinic. According to the Vaccine Informational Statement, “Flu vaccine is the best protection against flu and its complications.”

The Vaccine Information Statement says that symptoms of the flu include “Fever/chills, sore throat, muscle aches, fatigue, cough, headache, runny or stuffy nose.” However, flu vaccinations are a critical need for “young children, individuals 65 and older, pregnant women, people with certain health conditions-such as heart, lung or kidney disease, nervous system disorders, or a weak immune system.”

Pharmacist Shoba Varghese from Walgreens Pharmacy in Norristown PA states, “It’s a must that the elderly and people who are immuno-suppressed get a flu shot, [Even though]it’s better for everybody to have it. It’s recommended that you get it at the beginning of September so it lasts throughout the Winter.”

When you receive a flu shot (an injection with a needle) you are receiving an inactivated or a recombinant vaccine. The second way to receive a vaccination is getting it sprayed into your nostrils. This is known as an “attenuated” influenza vaccine.

NPHS’ Nurse Sally Kauffman shares her advice to students, “It’s one way of keeping kids healthy. The flu is a virus. You’re never going to know when you’re going to be exposed to someone with it.[The ways on] how to stay well through the Fall and Winter months is to wash hands frequently, get a flu shot, eat well, keep your immune system up, and drink plenty of water.”

You might be struggling with the question, “Do I really need to get a flu shot?” The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recommends individuals six months and older should get vaccinated seasonally. On February 24, 2010 in the U.S. the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted on flu shot vaccinations to be “universal”. This way they have made it a beneficial opportunity for all to get vaccinated.

Kauffman states, “The word is herd immunity. The more people that have the shot the less it’s going to spread around because everybody protected themselves. Not only are they protecting themselves but they are protecting people around them.”

The Vaccination Statement also mentions that after you get a flu shot you may experience “mild problems.” Never fear! If you experience any of these issues they will only last for a few days. These issues include “soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given, hoarseness, sore, red or itchy eyes, cough, fever, aches, headache, itching, and fatigue.”

Interestingly, the Influenza virus is always changing. This means that the flu vaccinations given one year are created to fight off a few different viruses that are around during that present year.

Shoba Varghese reassures individuals that dreaded injections are “just like an ant bite. Nothing to worry!”

Although the flu season is transient, it is a benefit for us to know the facts before deciding to get vaccinated.