EDITORIAL: KC writer weighs in on the end of Saturday AM cartoons

Nafiul Hossain, Staff Writer

In the past 17 years of my life, the only times I woke up early on Saturday mornings on my own were for 2 reasons, a Saturday school, and Saturday morning cartoons. Kids now have no reason to wake up early as the cancellation of cartoons brings a new age of “educational” programming. No child will ever be able to eat their lucky charms as they watch Sonic X on a Saturday morning. The cancellation of Saturday morning cartoons has bought a great deal of change to the culture of American kids.

September 27, 2014 will be a day marked by misfortune; it was the day CW Vortexx was dissolved. It last time any human being would be able to enjoy cartoons on any given Saturday morning for the foreseeable future. Cartoons like Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon have been running on for the past 6 years but now they have all been cancelled due to new government regulation which now enforces a new scholastic form of entertainment.

On October 4, 2014, Saturday, I woke up to a tragedy. I poured my lucky charms into my bowl of milk and tuned into the CW anticipating watching the Spectacular Spider Man, but instead, I found myself watching the Brady Barr experience- a new show where I watched some random guy travel to a remote island and observes animals and explain the significance of protecting them. No child will ever willingly wake up on early on a Saturday morning due to this societal injustice.

The cancellation of the cartoons has left a major impact on society. North Penn High School students agree that the lack of Saturday cartoons is an injustice.

Junior, Eric Rosenblatt says “This is completely wrong; has everyone gone mad? I would rather watch project runway rather than the mind numbing government regulated garbage shown on TV on every Saturday morning.”

No matter how aggravated people get, nothing will change. The Educational programming will keep running, and the 5 hour block of Saturday morning cartoon will not come back – clearly a social injustice for American youth.