North Penn’s German Club brings Oktoberfest to Lansdale

Leanne Spiegle

North Penn’s German Club and the students from Germany enjoying Oktoberfest together.

Dillin Bett, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN- Imagine a BBQ with all your friends and family, boat loads of food, and tailgating games to top it off. Now imagine an addition of 40 German exchange students. Sunday afternoon, Leanne Spiegel, the Co-Vice President of North Penn’s German Club, brought Oktoberfest to her backyard. All 40 of the German exchange students, their host families, and the members of the German Club arrived at Spiegel’s house at around 1 o’clock for an afternoon of German food and games.

This event allowed for a relaxed atmosphere in which German and American students could learn about each other’s experiences. They engaged in endless discussions about topics ranging from food to politics and formed lasting friendships.

“The idea started last year, the parents put it together, and it was a much smaller event. I really appreciated how we could get out of the school setting and just kick a soccer ball around and do German things,” said adviser of the North Penn German Club and German exchange program, Mr. Andrew Baker.

The second time around, this event was ten times better, encompassing over 100 people, while still accomplishing its goal of cooperation between 2 countries.

“I think it was really awesome and if you think that the (North Penn) students organized it all on their own, without the help of Mr. Baker, it’s pretty awesome. It was fun to see the students interacting together, the Americans with the Germans. It was a lot of fun,” shared North Penn German Student Teacher, Mrs. Anne Cremer.

It’s clear to see that no matter how you were involved in this event, whether a student or a teacher, a parent or kid, a German or American, it was a great opportunity to make friends and eat some sausage.

“The event turned out awesome. Almost every German exchange student showed up and we were all able to celebrate their arrival as well as the German culture,” shared an excited Leanne Spiegel.

North Penn's German Club welcomes the German Students in annual Oktoberfest celebration.
Leanne Spiegle
North Penn’s German Club welcomes the German Students in annual Oktoberfest celebration.