Jazz Ensemble, Academic Decathlon, and writing awards highlight school board proclamations

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

LANSDALE- The NPSD Board of School Directors met on May 21st, 2015 and began their meeting with an abundance of student proclamations from a variety of academic standpoints.

Mr. Peter Neu, music teacher and band director, began by introducing the Pennbrook Middle School Jazz Ensemble, comprised of students in seventh, eighth, and ninth grade. He explained that the group submitted a recording of their music to a national music association that selects “the best of the best” from pieces from elementary to college level. After several levels of auditioning, Neu explained that the association selected Pennbrook’s musical group, which was the only middle school group selected, and they were invited to preform at a national convention in Rhode Island in April.

Additionally, Mrs. Nancy Craig, social studies teacher, presented NPHS’s Academic Decathlon team and explained that the group has earned the title of state champions for the past three years. In addition to obtaining first place, the team brought home thirty-four medals, and four of the nine high scorers in the state were from NPHS’s team. Being the one team that qualified from the state to go to nationals, Craig explained that the team was privileged to travel to California for the competition. As a result, the team placed seventh in the large school division and thirteenth overall in the country.

Before Craig and the team left, Mr. Vincent Sherpinsky, School Board President, announced that under “Other Business,” the board would seek the approval of a case to display awards earned by NPHS’s Academic Decathlon team. At the end of the meeting, the recommendation was unanimously approved in the amount of $10,000.

To conclude student proclamations, Mrs. Janet Kratz, English teacher, recognized two present and two absent students for their achievements in writing. The students earned awards in different contests, including the Penn State Essay Contest, the National Council of Teachers of English Writing Contest, and the AUW Creative Writing Contest.

The remainder of the School Board meeting was spent discussing committee reports and reviewing items on the agenda for approval.

Among things reported, John Schilling spoke of promising updates regarding the Hatfield Elementary School project, which is expected to be completed this summer and ready to open for the 2015-2016 school year.

Additionally, Josephine Charnock explained that this summer, a literacy intervention program to improve reading and writing skills will be conducted at Oak Park Elementary School for students in Kindergarten through third grade. Also, a week long AP Boot Camp will be conducted at NPHS during the summer.

“The purpose of this week long enrichment program will be to help students who are taking advanced placement courses for the first time to better prepare for success in those courses,” explained Charnock.

Describing updates from the NPSD Educational Foundation, Carolyn Murphy explained that the online auction proved to be successful, as over $8,700 was earned and reminded the Board of the upcoming annual Golf Classic in August. Also, the grant review committee is in the process of analyzing forty-three submitted grant applications.

Furthermore, Dr. Dietrich informed the Board of the superintendent’s report, and all seventeen items were unanimously approved. Such items include the approval of the 2015 Summer Literacy Program to be held at Oak Park Elementary School, the roofing replacement for Knapp Elementary and Pennbrook Middle Schools to Weatherproofing Technologies, and the acceptance of four generous gifts to the district.

After delivering the treasurer’s report, Mr. Stephen Skrocki recommended and gained the approval of three items: sanction and approval of invoices, budget transfers, and a contract with First Student for transportation services.

The next meeting of the NPSD Board of School Directors is scheduled for June 9th, 2015 at 7:30pm at the ESC.