School board continues discussions on school funding

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

LANSDALE- The North Penn School District Board of School Directors began their meeting on April 16th, 2015 by recognizing students throughout the district for their accomplishments.

Mr. Rob Shettsline, boys’ wrestling coach, presented three wrestlers from the team to the School Board and discussed their impressive success in league, district, regional, and state competitions.

Shortly after, nine exemplary athletes from the girls’ swimming and diving team were recognized by their coach, Mr. Matt Weiser. Before describing each girl’s achievements throughout the season, Weiser noted that the team placed first in the Suburban One Continental League Championship, won the District One PIAA Championship, and placed third at the PIAA State Meet.

To finish the student proclamations, Mr. Jeff Faikish acknowledged twelve noteworthy athletes and their accomplishments from the boys’ swimming and diving team. Faikish explained that the team earned first place in their League Championships, achieved the title of District Champions, and placed fourth as a program at the PIAA State Swimming and Diving Championships this year.

The remainder of the School Board meeting was spent discussing committee reports and reviewing items on the agenda for approval.

Among things reported, Josephine Charnock explained that the 2015-2016 school year’s calendar was revised regarding teacher days in order to comply with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NPEA and NPSD. To adhere to the contract, teachers will work for 191 days, and their last day of the school year will be on June 15th, 2015, instead of the previously approved June 16th, 2015.

Additionally, Cory Brown described the 2015-2016 state budget, which NPSD Director of Business Administration Steve Skrocki provided an update for proposed budget figures in Governor Wolf’s budget.

“North Penn would receive an increase of $828,000 in the basic education and special education subsidies under the proposal,” explained Brown.

Questioning the legitimacy of such an increase, board president Vincent Sherpinsky expressed concern about any “strings” attached. He explained that a previous increase was not even attainable for the district, due to the amount of hurdles that prevented them from applying.

Furthermore, board member Suzan Leonard provided several details regarding the Educational Foundation’s upcoming events. From May 5th to May 15th, the Foundation will hold their second annual online auction, which will feature North Penn experiences and other quality items. Also, on May 16th, 2015, the Foundation will hold their first event at the Hatfield Auto Museum, and tickets are being sold for $30 per person.

Filling in for Superintendent Curt Dietrich, Asst. Superintendent Diane Holben informed the School Board of the superintendent’s report, and all fourteen items on the agenda were unanimously approved.

Among such items was approval of the resolution urging the General Assembly to establish a new funding formula for basic education. For more information regarding the funding formula for basic education, refer to the link below:

https://www.knightcrier.org/news/2015/04/08/school-funding-system-tops-agenda-at-board-work-session/

Additionally, eight Summer School Programs for 2015, which were described in Charnock’s report, were approved. Such summer courses include the Remedial Program for Secondary Students, Reading/Language Arts Program, Secondary School Enrichment Program, Keystone Intervention Program, ELL Program, Library Program, Internship Program, and AP Boot Camp.

Presenting the Finance Report, Skrocki discussed his Treasurer’s Report. The School Board also ratified disbursements for the month of March 2015 in the amount of $25,167,167.02 and approved the March 2015 budget transfers in the amount of $50,256.94.

Community members are invited to attend a discussion with local and state representatives regarding basic education funding for schools in Pennsylvania on May 23rd, 2015 at 7:00 pm in Penndale Middle School’s Auditorium.

The next School Board Meeting is scheduled for May 12th, 2015 at 7:30 pm in the Educational Services Center.