California Dreamin’! State Champ Academic Decathlon team to travel to California for Nationals competition

California+here+come%3A+The+NP+Academic+Decathlon+team%2C+shown+here+after+winning+the+state+championship%2C+is+headed+to+California+this+month+to+compete+at+Nationals.+

Submitted photo

California here come: The NP Academic Decathlon team, shown here after winning the state championship, is headed to California this month to compete at Nationals.

Kelly Harrington, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – What’s a thrilling, fast-paced, and tense sport, yet may not be a sport in the technical definition of the word? It’s Academic Decathlon.

The North Penn High School Academic Decathlon Team recently traveled to Northwestern Lehigh High School in New Tripoli, Pennsylvania to participate in the state championship competition, and ended up placing first. This makes them eligible to be the Pennsylvania representative at the Nationals competition, occurring from April 15th to 18th in Garden Grove, California.

The team, comprised of students Oscar Armas-Luy, Kathleen Bogert, Serena Jiang, Noah Lamb, Chris Marchini, Parth Nigam, Chris Sibel, Yang Yue, Jerry Zhao, and advised by teachers Mrs. Nancy Craig and Mr. Ryan Gutsche, studied in the category of Renewable Energy this year.

The dedication required to be successful on the academic decathlon team, more commonly known as ACADEC, is expansive. The students received eight packets of information to study this year in the standard categories of Art, Economics, Math, Language and Literature, Mathematics, Music, Science, and Social Science, all focused on respective facets of renewable energy. There are ten events at the competitions, seven of them tests. The other three are an interview, essay, and speech based on the topic.

The preparation for the major competitions at the end of the year begins early, with the team participating in regional scrimmages. Then the team looked forward to attending states in Erie, PA, but one thing was standing in their way: a snowstorm.

“That’s why we left a day early. If we hadn’t gotten out early, we would not have made it there,” explains Craig.

However, meetings are not quite like what most people think they are, explained senior Kathleen Bogert.

“We do a lot of studying, but at meetings it’s not all about just drilling each other on facts. It’s more of a discussion.”

Contrary to popular belief, those involved in ACADEC don’t have to be valedictorians or straight A students either. The competition is split up by grade point average into three levels – A, B, and C, and each team has three representatives from each level to make up the standard team of nine. Students only compete with those within their level.

“It’s more about dedication to mastery of the material,” said Craig. “That’s one of the major misconceptions. We want anyone to be able to join. Everyone’s important – everyone is a part of getting to States and Nationals.”

Bogert also commented on the culture of the team, saying, “When things get really intense, we meet outside of school. It’s different at the beginning of the year when the packets are fresh, but now that we’re near the end of the year it’s down to the nitty-gritty stuff. I think it’s exciting being a part of a group of people who are so excited to conquer the academic world with our saturated craniums. It’s also nice to have not only a team, but people who you also just enjoy hanging out with – a bunch of people who I never would have known whom I’ve become friends with now due to ACADEC.”

Compared with past competitions, the most recent one at States was not exactly a breeze. The school who ended up taking second place, Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy, created a score margin with North Penn closer than past wins. However, the team certainly knows how to take on tough obstacles. “When we encounter something difficult, we just try to reinforce each other and keep each other going…We really are like a small family,” says Craig.

The rigorous practice and study schedule is important, but does not entirely encompass all that the team does, added Bogert.

“The team is student run, and we all teach each other and study together. On the ride to states, all we did was quiz each other. On the bus ride home, though, we enjoy karaoke and sing-alongs. And we also like to have deep, psychological discussions.”

Craig joined the team two years ago, and the experiences she has gained from advising have been invaluable. “It makes students very cognizant of the business world, and the world they’re going to be in in a few short years. There’s definitely a maturation among the students, from beginning to end. It’s also taught me versatility in dealing with different types of personalities.”

As the knowledgeable nine look forward to sunny skies in Garden Grove, Craig reflected on their troubles with the snow and the help of principal Burt Hynes getting the team out early.

“Our biggest fan has absolutely been Mr. Hynes. He believed we could win States, so that’s why he got us out before the snow came. He’s always believed in us from the beginning,” noted Craig.

Don’t let the eight packets of information fool you; this team is as much about building friendships and gaining diverse experiences as it is about the facts. Everyone’s determination and dedication to the team give them an excellent shot at Nationals and beyond, but the wisdom, maturity, and friendships, rather than their wins, will be the most valuable things that they will take with them into their bright futures. Although winning is pretty cool too.