Sarah Rubenstein and Alyssa Almeida take top honors in annual Talent Show

WINNERS - Sarah Rubenstein and Alyssa Almeida perform at the North Penn High School Talent Show on Friday, March 20th, 2015.

Brooke McCoy

WINNERS – Sarah Rubenstein and Alyssa Almeida perform at the North Penn High School Talent Show on Friday, March 20th, 2015.

Abby Mohr, Staff Writer

TOWAMENCIN – Entering the auditorium on Friday night, audience members would undoubtedly agree the excitement in the air was palpable. As the house lights dimmed and the “Frozen” themed emcees made their entrance into the spotlight, it was clear this would be a show to remember.

Each year, North Penn’s talent show brings an impressive roster of unique acts that never disappoints. This year was no different. Though in previous years, the lineup has been dominated by musical groups, Friday brought a diverse mix of singing, dancing, rapping, and even spoken word. While some chose musical mash-ups of popular songs, there was a wide variety of originally composed works as well. Runner-up Victoria Finley performed a beautiful original song while masterfully accompanying herself on piano. Friends Antonia Armstrong and Gabi Hernandez gave a powerful rendition of an original spoken word poem focusing on issues of acceptance in society.

Those choosing to deviate from the norm brought some of the show’s most entertaining moments. Jonathan Klaus, dressed in complete Napoleon Dynamite garb, performed the dance from the talent show audition scene of the movie with hilarious accuracy. “Leading Strand,” a strings group, brought together a variety of popular songs to be translated uniquely into a string setting, bringing enthusiastic cheers from the audience and even inspiring a small sing-along portion.

Ensuring the show never had a dull moment were emcees Jackson Simpson and Melissa Fuhr, providing comedic content and even musical numbers between the acts, worthy of the Oscars. By the end of the night, audience members questioned if they could vote for the emcees for best talent, as their never-ending costume changes and quirky humor not only kept the show moving, but kept attendees entertained and engaged.

As the night came to a close and it was time to vote, who would take home the awards was truly a gamble as every act had brought an impressive and unique talent to the stage. Ultimately, one duo stood out, being the only performance to receive a standing ovation from the crowd. Sarah Rubenstein and Alyssa Almeida, performing a haunting acoustic version of Ben Howard’s “Under the Same Sun,” had not only brought the crowd to their feet, but had also won the votes of the judges and audience alike. Utilizing percussive techniques on her guitar, a foot pedal for her drum, and singing, Sarah managed to do all three with impressive skill, while Alyssa brought an emotional tone to the performance with her cello playing. In second came Victoria Finley, who had performed her own original song entitled “C’est La Vie,” which showcased her beautiful vocal skills. Rounding out the outstanding night in third place was strings group “Leading Strand,” a crowd favorite that brought together current pop songs with immense musical talent.

Overall, the night was a roaring success, echoed by SGA advisor, Mr. Kyle Berger, who proudly noted after the show that he “thought the show went really well, from a talent standpoint and from a show standpoint. There wasn’t a bad act in the show.”

Despite there being two inches of snow on the ground from earlier in the day, Berger was exceptionally pleased by the turnout, expressing that “To get the crowd that we did on a night like this says a lot about how talented this school is and how many folks support all that happens here.”

Speaking with the ever humble winners Sarah Rubenstein and Alyssa Almeida following the show, it was clear the duo was overwhelmed by the positive reaction to their performance. As multitudes of friends and family came to congratulate them, it was all they could do to thank everyone countless times over.

Rubenstein, commenting on the camaraderie between the show’s acts, expressed that “It was so much fun because everyone genuinely loved music.”

Hard to believe from their professional caliber performance, Rubinstein noted that her and Almeida have “known each other since first grade,” but “only played together two times in [her] living room,” prior to their award-winning performance.

Ultimately, I left the talent show Friday night feeling as though I should have paid much more than five dollars for what felt like an exhibition of excellent talent, and having a much greater appreciation for the talent that often goes hidden within North Penn halls. My only complaint would be that it happens only once a year.

For more from NPTV, check out this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqDdJA-p5Q