Volunteers and boundary realignment top board agenda

Taylor Young, Staff Writer

LANSDALE- The North Penn School District Board of School Directors began their meeting on February 19th, 2015 by recognizing the accomplishments of the North Penn Marching Knights.

While five representatives from the NPMK, which consists of 117 students, were recognized for the team’s accomplishments, Mr. Michael Britcher, Director of Bands, talked about their continuous dedication and success throughout the season.

“All of the students who participate in [Marching Band] are on the field all the time participating in every single step,” explained Britcher. “They’re all working together to accomplish amazing things. Over the course of the fall, our team really came together and just had an amazing end to their season. We had three very significant wins at the end of our season.”

In addition to the noteworthy wins, Britcher went on to explain that the Marching Knights defeated an extremely talented band from a high school in Massachusetts. This was an especially exceptional accomplishment as it was their first time defeating the team in a competition.

Shortly after an approval of the minutes from the previous meeting, the board proceeded with their committee reports. Discussing an updated policy change for North Penn School District volunteers, Ms. Josephine Charnock explained that this is in immediate effect. The revision requires new volunteers to submit a PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Background Check, and a NPSD Volunteer Affirmation or a Report of Federal Criminal History Record (fingerprinting). Such requirements must be obtained and submitted to the district every 36 months in order to serve as a qualified volunteer.

Additionally, Charnock discussed a boundary realignment proposal, which would impact the district’s three middle schools and four elementary schools, because of the increased enrollment in the Lansdale area.

“This proposal recommends moving 67 students from York Avenue to Gwyn Nor, 119 students from Knapp to Montgomery, 37 students from Penndale to Pennbrook, and 113 students from Penndale to Pennfield,” explained Charnock.

However, students entering 6th, 8th, and 9th grade during the 2015-2016 school year at the impacted schools will be given the option to remain in their current building.

Furthermore, Dr. Curt Dietrich’s Superintendent Report entailed the approval of all fourteen items on the board’s agenda for the evening. Such approvals include the expulsions of two students, the allowance of the Silver Bullets Basketball Group use of the Bridle Path Gymnasium to play basketball through the 2014-2015 school year, and the waiver of tuition for the International Friendship Exchange student for the 2014-2015 school year.

After Mr. Stephen Skrocki presented the finance report, the board approved the sanction and approval of invoices and budget transfers. In addition, the board approved the motion of grant funding for the extended school program, which Diane Holben discussed.

The next meeting of the North Penn School District Board of School Directors is scheduled for March 10th, 2015 at 7:30pm in the Educational Services Center.